The Chew: Super Soul Food
For The Chew’s Super Soul Food show, Carla Hall made Smothered Chicken in Buttermilk Gravy with help from Daphne Oz. (Also try Mario’s Shrimp & Grits.)
Carla said that she prefers dark meat for this recipe, and smothered sauce is a classic tasty treat. Choose a high quality buttermilk to make the meal really sing. Browning the chicken in the pan where you will cook your gravy ensures that it will pick up some of the seared flavors.
The Chew: Carla Hall Smothered Chicken Recipe Ingredients with Buttermilk Gravy
Use plenty of pepper to season at every step of the process. Make sure to avoid fully submerging chicken in the stock, because you want the skin to stay crispy until it’s time to serve. It’s going to wind up sweet and tart, creating a flavor sensation on your plate!
- 1 sliced Yellow Onion
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 3 tbsp chopped Parsley
- Zest & Juice of a Lemon
- 6 bone-in, skin on Chicken Thighs (or try Pork Chops)
- 2 cloves minced Garlic
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock
- 3 tbsp chopped Thyme
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Herbed Rice Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups rinsed Carolina Rice
- 2 tbsp chopped Thyme
- 3 cups Water
- 2 tbsp chopped Parsley
- Zest of 1 Lemon
Carla Hall: The Chew Smothered Chicken with Buttermilk Gravy Recipe Directions
- Heat olive oil on medium high.
- Season chicken and place it in the pan, with skin side down.
- Cook about four minutes to golden and crispy.
- Flip and cook on the other side for another three minutes, until fully browned.
- Reserve chicken.
- Saute onions for a few minutes, to soften.
- Add garlic, stirring until fragrant.
- Add flour and toast it so it makes a paste.
- Use stock to deglaze the pan.
- Pour in chopped herbs with buttermilk and lemon zest.
- Add chicken back to the pan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer.
- Cook about 11 minutes, until chicken is done.
- To make the herbed rice, follow package directions.
- Let rice sit five minutes before fluffing.
- Mix in chopped herbs and serve with chicken.