The Chew: Set It and Forget It
Carla Hall got her inspiration for this dish from the South Beach Wine and Food Festival. For The Chew’s Set It and Forget It show, she taught The Bachelor host Chris Harrison how to make this Onion Jam Short Ribs Recipe.
Slow cooking helps to make your house smell amazing with the flavors. Harrison also said that he likes to make a slow-cooked gouda and pork meal when he is cooking at home for the kids, even though it is apparently offensive to put cheese on barbecue.
Did you know Chris Harrison was in the sports world before The Bachelor? He has also hosted an HGTV competition show.
The Chew: Carla Hall Short Ribs Recipe with Onion Jam and Radish Salad Ingredients
The onions will cook down and caramelize into perfection. As Carla always says, “the flavor’s in the brown”!
- 2 chopped Carrots
- 3 sliced Yellow Onions
- 1/2 cup Red Wine
- 1 cup Water
- 1 loaf sliced Whole Wheat Country Bread
- 4 lb Beef Short Ribs
- 3 ribs chopped Celery
- 3 cloves smashed Garlic
- 3/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 sprigs Thyme
- 8 tbsp soft Butter
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Juice & Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced Almonds
- 1 bunch sliced Butter Radishes
- 1/4 cup chopped Chives
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Carla Hall: The Chew Onion Jam Short Ribs Recipe Directions
- Salt ribs and heat oil in a saute pan.
- Sear ribs on all sides and transfer to a plate.
- Saute onion with carrots and celery. Add salt.
- Cook a few minutes to soften.
- Stir in garlic and use wine and vinegar to deglaze.
- Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add water with thyme and browned ribs.
- Cover and cook on low for six hours.
- Once meat is cooked, toast bread with butter in a skillet.
- Shred meat and serve it on buttered toast with salad.
- Combine citrus juice and zest with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Mix in radish, almond, and chives.
- Toss to coat and serve.