The Chew: Mardi Gras Treats
Drink up with a festive Grown Up Daiquiri Recipe from The Chew for Mardi Gras, and indulge in dessert with Carla Hall’s Mini King Cakes Recipe. Carla put Michael to work as her sous chef and promised him some beads if he did a good job.
King Cakes are the traditional dessert for Fat Tuesday, the culmination of the annual Mardi Gras festivities.
The Chew: Grown Up Daiquiri Recipe
- 2 oz Gold Rum
- 1 tsp Superfine Sugar
- Juice of 1/2 Lime
- Shake ingredients over ice to dissolve sugar
- Strain and serve with a wedge of lime.
The Chew: Carla Hall Mini King Cakes Recipe Ingredients
There’s no sugar in the dough, but you will add plenty later on, so don’t worry that it won’t come out sweet. It’s going to make you think of cinnamon rolls as you get closer to cutting up the dough…not quite the traditional approach, but still magically delicious.
- 1 lb Pizza Dough
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 8 tbsp melted Butter
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 tbsp New Orleans Rum
- 1/2 cup room temperature Cream Cheese
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice (with 1 tsp Zest)
- Icing Sugars (choice of colors)
Carla Hall: The Chew Mini King Cakes Recipe Directions
- Preheat your oven on 350 F.
- Prepare a cake pan with butter.
- Combine sugars with lemon zest, salt, and cinnamon.
- Roll pizza dough into a rectangle.
- Brush with butter and sprinkle sugars over the dough.
- Roll dough into a thin log.
- Cut this into a dozen pieces.
- Place each with the cut side down in your cake pan.
- Brush with butter and bake 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Beat icing ingredients into a thick consistency that will still pour.
- Pour the icing over the cakes and garnish with the icing sugars.