The Chew: Mega Mash-Up Meals
For The Chew’s Mash-Up episode, Michael Symon showed us how to deliver the flavor of Chicken and Waffles without having to get out the waffle iron. Check out his Chicken Kiev-inspired Butter Fried Chicken Recipe, which goes great with Clinton Kelly’s Maple Bourbon Spritz Cocktail.
Spice and sweetness from the infused butter will give this chicken a delicious and satisfying taste. Carefully pipe the butter underneath the skin so that it will stay in place as you cook, to baste the chicken as it fries. Michael also recommended using his favorite Secret Aardvark Hot Sauce.
The Chew: Clinton Kelly Maple Bourbon Spritz Recipe
- 2 oz Bourbon
- 1/4 oz Maple Syrup
- Orange Peel
- 3/4 oz Lemon Juice
- Soda Water
- Brandied Cherry
- Combine liquids over ice.
- Splash soda water on top.
- Rim the glass with the orange peel.
- Garnish with cherry.
The Chew: Michael Symon Butter Fried Chicken Recipe Ingredients
- 1/2 lb soft Unsalted Butter
- 1 Chicken (in eight pieces)
- 1/2 cup Secret Aardvark Hot Sauce
- 1 bundle Thyme
- 1 cup ground Ritz Cracker Crumbs
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 3 cloves peeled, smashed Garlic
- 1 cup Flour
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- Canola Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Michael Symon: The Chew Butter Fried Chicken Recipe Directions
- Whip butter with maple syrup in a bowl. Salt and transfer to a piping bag.
- Whisk buttermilk with garlic, hot sauce, and thyme; salt and pepper.
- Loosen skin on chicken pieces.
- Pipe compound butter beneath the skin and gently press it back in place.
- Salt chicken on both sides.
- Marinate in buttermilk mixture two hours or more.
- Let chicken come to room temperature.
- On medium high, heat a cast iron skillet.
- Combine flour, crackers, and paprika.
- Dredge chicken in flour mixture. Shake off excess.
- Dip in buttermilk marinade again, dripping off the excess.
- Add canola oil to the hot skillet for a shallow fry.
- Once all chicken is breaded, carefully add it in one layer to the pan, skin side down.
- Cook about 11 minutes per side, to golden brown.
- Let drain on a cooling rack and serve.