The Chew: Chocolate Tart Recipe
What happens when you combine pudding on shortbread crust and top it with velvety chocolate? You get Carla Hall’s Triple Chocolate Tart Recipe, which makes the ultimate dessert, featuring a chai ganache and homemade pudding.
Audience member Mary Anne worked with guest host Curtis Stone to help Carla out and make it all come together.
The Chew: Carla Hall Triple Chocolate Tart Recipe Ingredients
- 3 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp unsweetened Cocoa Powder (+1 tsp)
- 2 2/3 cups Milk
- 5 oz melted Semisweet Chocolate
- 2 tbsp soft Unsalted Butter
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Flour
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup soft Butter
Chai Ganache Ingredients
- 1/2 pint Heavy Cream
- 1 cup chopped Dark Chocolate (or use Semisweet)
- 2 tsp spiced Chai Tea
Carla Hall: The Chew Triple Chocolate Tart Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, salt, and cocoa powder for shortbread in a bowl.
- Separately, cream butter with sugar for a couple minutes. Add vanilla extract.
- Fold creamed mixture into flour mixture.
- Divide dough into two discs. Wrap and chill 30 minutes.
- Roll out one disc to 1/4” thick.
- Transfer to a tart pan and prick the bottom.
- Blind bake with weights for 15-20 minutes, until golden.
- Let stand and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Bring cream to a boil for the ganache.
- Add chai and turn heat to low.
- Let tea steep about five minutes.
- Put chocolate in a bowl and strain warm cream over it.
- Stir together until chocolate melts and cool until it can be spread.
- Whisk salt with sugar, cornstarch, and cocoa powder in a saucepan to make the pudding.
- Slowly mix in cream and cold milk.
- Bring to a slow boil on medium low heat.
- Take off heat and whisk in melted chocolate until smooth.
- Beat egg yolks in a large bowl before slowly adding the hot milk to the bowl.
- Whisk until combined.
- Pour mixture into a saucepan and cook on medium low, stirring constantly.
- Cook until pudding thickens. Let boil 30 seconds and take off heat.
- Strain pudding into a bowl.
- Add butter and vanilla.
- Transfer pudding to a tart shell and chill until firm, a minimum of four hours.
- Top tart with ganache, swirling for a nice presentation.
- Chill for at least 10 minutes before serving.