The Chew: Comfort Foods with Kellie Pickler
Country star and vegetarian Kellie Pickler was a guest host on The Chew to help Carla Hall make a comfort food, this Lemon-Scented Spinach Feta Pie Recipe. Also known as Spanakopita to the Greeks, this dish comes from Carla’s brand new cookbook, Carla’s Comfort Foods.
Hall’s new cookbook shares recipes for comfort foods around the world, and she said that it’s true they can be found in all cultures. Michael Symon appreciated the Greek twist, and Mario Batali said his measure of a comfort food is something that is delicious hot as well as out of the fridge late at night.
The Chew Spanakopita: Carla Hall Lemon-Scented Spinach Feta Pie Recipe Ingredients
- 1 bunch trimmed, sliced Scallions
- 2 cloves minced Garlic
- 2 lb Baby Spinach
- 1 beaten Egg
- 1/2 cup drained Ricotta Cheese
- 1/4 tsp grated Nutmeg
- 1 chopped Shallot
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Parsley leaves
- 1 cup crumbled Feta Cheese
- 1 tbsp grated Lemon Zest
- 10 sheets thawed Filo Dough (18” x 13”)
- Cooking Spray
- Olive Oil
Carla Hall Spanakopita: The Chew Lemon-Scented Spinach Feta Pie Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven on 350 F.
- Spray a baking sheet.
- Heat olive oil on medium in a skillet.
- Cook garlic, scallions, and shallot with salt, about five minutes to brown and soften.
- Add parsley and spinach, cooking two minutes to wilt.
- Drain in a colander to dry the spinach before chopping it.
- Combine egg with lemon zest, feta, nutmeg and ricotta in a bowl.
- Once smooth, stir in spinach.
- Lay a single sheet of dough in the pan.
- Spray the sheet and fold it in half to line the bottom of the pan.
- Continue this process until you have used five sheets and created 10 dough layers.
- Spread spinach evenly over the dough.
- Repeat layering process on top of the spinach using the last five sheets of dough.
- Fold any hanging dough over the filling.
- Tuck with an offset spatula where needed.
- Gently press sheets to the bottom of the pan, working around the perimeter.
- Spray the pastry with olive oil cooking spray.
- Bake about 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool on a rack before slicing into pieces for serving.