The Chew: John Leguizamo
The Chew welcomed John Leguizamo into the kitchen to cook Arista Toscana with Mario Batali and promote the new movie Walking with Dinosaurs.
His family celebrates all the winter holidays at once, and the family will be doing a potluck dinner with a Secret Santa gift exchange. Pernil was often on the holiday menu at his home growing up, which inspired this Arista Toscana Recipe, served with Blood Orange Salad.
The Chew: Walking with Dinosaurs Review
Walking with Dinosaurs, now in theaters, uses photorealism to make its animation look like documentary footage. This movie looks awesome and I would love to see it! Leguizamo is the voice of a bird in the movie. (Psst…it’s also secretly educational!)
Doing voiceover work is great, because you don’t have to dress up or even take a shower before showing up. No one is going to see what you look like! His kids loved seeing the film, and maybe yours will too.
The Chew: Mario Batali Arista Toscana Recipe with Blood Orange Salad Ingredients
- 24 cloves Garlic
- 2 bulbs sliced Fennel (chopped tops reserved; ribs discarded)
- 1 quart Whole Milk
- 4 Spanish Onions
- 6 or 7 lb Bone-In Pork Loin Roast (10 bones Frenched)
- 1/4 cup Fennel Pollen
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Blood Orange Salad Ingredients
- 2 Blood Oranges (zest & juice reserved; in supremes)
- 1 bulb shaved Fennel
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Mario Batali: The Chew Arista Toscana with Blood Orange Salad Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Smash 12 cloves of garlic in a paste.
- Put this in a large roasting pan.
- Line the pan with sliced onions and fennel.
- Make six incisions in the bones, three inches deep.
- Stuff two cloves of garlic into each cut on the meat.
- Season pork with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle fennel pollen over the meat.
- Add milk and olive oil.
- Place pork roast on the veggies in the roasting pan.
- Put the pan in the oven to roast it for about 70 minutes, to an internal temp of 145 F.
- Remove from the oven and transfer roast to a cutting board.
- Move half the onions and fennel, with all the drippings and cooking liquid, to a blender.
- Blend 30 seconds. Drizzle olive oil in with the blender running, to create a smooth, thick sauce.
- If it’s too thick, slowly add in more water.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Arrange onions and fennel on a warmed platter.
- Carve pork roast from the bone.
- Slice meat 3/4” thick and arrange it over the onions.
- Pour sauce over the meat and serve with blood orange salad.
- Offer remaining sauce in a gravy boat.
- To make the salad, combine juice, zest and olive oil.
- Add the orange supremes and all the chopped frilly fennel tops.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.