Rachael Ray: Richard Blais Kitchen Basics
For Rachael Ray’s latest Kitchen Basics show, Richard Blais said that acidity is a flavor secret that we tend to forget about. More than fat or salt, adding some citrus or vinegar can bring almost any dish alive. Try his Broccoli Pesto for spaghetti or this Beer-Steamed Clams Recipe.
Rachael Ray: Richard Blais Whole Wheat Spaghetti Recipe with Broccoli Pesto Ingredients
Richard Blais, whom you may know from Top Chef, said that you can even add your citrus at the table. He also advised cleaning the kitchen as you go.
- 1 box Whole Wheat Spaghetti
- 2 tbsp minced Onion
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 6 leaves Basil
- 5 tbsp grated Pecorino
- 4 cloves minced Garlic
- 2 heads Broccoli tops (shaved in crumbs)
- 1/4 cup crushed Pine Nuts (or use Almonds or Walnuts)
- Zest and juice of 1/2 Lemon
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Richard Blais: Rachael Ray Whole Wheat Spaghetti Directions with Broccoli Pesto
- Cook spaghetti in salted water.
- Warm olive oil with garlic, onion, chili and broccoli crumbs in a saute pan.
- Toss in remaining ingredients.
- Drain spaghetti noodles and mix with pesto.
Rachael Ray: Richard Blais Beer-Steamed Clams Recipe Ingredients
Fermentation is one reason why wine or beer are among recipe ingredients, because they add some aged flavor into the dish. Blais said that clams will make their own broth, and he called clams Long Island soul food. Another perfect finish is adding fresh herbs.
- 4 cloves sliced Garlic
- 24 Little Neck Clams
- 1 drop Maggi (liquid MSG)
- 1/4 cup cold cubed Butter
- 2 tbsp sliced Scallions
- 1 tbsp grated Ginger
- 1/2 bottle Amstel Light Beer
- 3 tbsp diced Sopressata (or use Prosciutto or Bacon)
- chopped Cilantro
- Juice of 1/2 Lime
Richard Blais: Rachael Ray Beer-Steamed Clams Recipe Directions
- Sweat garlic and sopressata with ginger.
- Mix in beer, maggi, and clams.
- Cover and steam.
- Once clams have opened, add butter, scallions, and cilantro.
- Garnish with lime juice and serve on sourdough.