Rachael Ray: Whole Roast Eggplant Parmigiana
If you are looking for a healthy dish to serve your family of four, look no further than Rachael Ray’s Whole Roast Eggplant Parmigiana Recipe.
Rachael Ray: Whole Roast Eggplant Parmigiana Recipe Ingredients
- 4 eggplants (small)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 4 cloves of thinly sliced garlic
- 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs
- 1 halved onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans of San Marzano tomatoes
- Several sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup of chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon of honey or sugar (this is optional)
- Torn Basil Leaves to be used for garnish
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of fresh mozzarella (can be substituted with fresh sliced smoked mozzarella, 1/2-inch thick)
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (equivalent of a couple handfuls)
- 1/2 cup of chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup of chopped mint leaves
Rachael Ray: Whole Roast Eggplant Parmigiana Recipe Directions
- Without cutting all the way through, cut six slits into each of the eggplants. This will leave the eggplant looking like an armadillo.
- After salting the flesh of the eggplant, allow it to stand for 30 minutes. Then, pat off all the moisture with a paper towel.
- While allowing the eggplant to sit, heat olive oil in a medium saucepot. Then, melt butter into the oil.
- Add in some garlic and stir the pot for two minutes, then add two tablespoons of the oil to the panko to moisten it.
- Add your bay leaves, tomato, and halved onions to the pot and crush them.
- Add some sprigs of thyme and a few leaves of basil to the pot and stir in your honey (or sugar) and stock.
- Allow this mixture to simmer for 30 minutes, then, remove your bay leaves, onion, and thyme.
- Add salt and pepper to taste for seasoning.
- Warm your oven up to 350 degrees.
- In the slits that you made in your eggplant, add your slices of mozzarella.
- Place your eggplants in casserole dishes that leave some space around the eggplants. Then, divide your sauce evenly between the casserole dishes.
- After covering your casserole dishes, cover them with foil and roast them for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven, remove the foil, and cook the eggplant for another 20 to 30 minutes until the edges of the eggplant are brown and crispy. Then, top it with breadcrumbs and return it to the oven to brown for another 15 or so minutes.
- Take your cheese, mint, and chopped parsley and toss them with your garlic-butter panko.
- Garnish each slice of eggplant with a few leaves of torn basil and serve.