Rachael Ray: Let’s Move 4th Anniversary
Rachael Ray visited First Lady Michelle Obama in the White House kitchen for the fourth anniversary of her Let’s Move campaign. Chef Sam Kass was also with them to teach a Sweet Potato Soup Recipe.
Growing up, the First Lady said that she did not enjoy brussels sprouts or liver when she was a kid. Mrs. Obama loves to get moving these days to the song “Happy” by Pharrell. The family likes to be active together by going on long hikes.
Kass said that fruit is a great healthy sweet treat for kids and adults. He said that he has never met a kid who did not love fruit.
Rachael Ray: FDA Nutrition Labels
For the first time in years, the FDA will revise the food nutrition labels found on packaged products, making calorie counts more prominent, as well as telling you where sugar in a food product comes from.
“You as a parent and a consumer should be able to walk into a grocery store, pick an item off the shelf, and tell whether it’s good for your family,” Mrs. Obama said in a press conference.
Rachael Ray: Sam Kass Sweet Potato Soup Recipe Ingredients
This recipe uses apples for sweetness so you don’t have to add any sugar.
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 stalks chopped Celery
- 2 cloves smashed Garlic
- 1 diced Granny Smith Apple
- 4 Cloves
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 cup chopped Onion
- 1 sliced Leek
- 1 1/2 lb cubed Sweet Potato
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 4 Star Anise
- 6 cups Chicken Stock
- Salt & Pepper
Sam Kass: Rachael Ray Sweet Potato Soup Recipe Directions
- In a large pot, heat olive oil to medium
- Sweat onion until fragrant.
- Saute leek, celery, and garlic, around five minutes.
- Add in apples with sweet potatoes and remaining spices; saute.
- Add chicken stock and simmer 20 minutes, uncovered, until sweet potatoes are tender
- Stir in honey and simmer.
- Remove cinnamon sticks and cloves.
- Puree soup in a blender to a smooth consistency.
- Return soup to the pot; salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chopped celery leaves.