Rachael Ray: Slow Cooker Roast
Rachael Ray has been celebrating Slow Cooker Month, and frequent guest Sunny Anderson got onboard with the theme by making this Slow Cooker Root Beer Rump Roast Recipe. That’s right…I said root beer.
Slow cookers make things easy, and Sunny Anderson said that you can find a Crock Pot or slow cooker in any size or price point. Rachael said you can also repurpose them for hot beverages during winter. How do you like to use your slow cooker?
Sunny Anderson is a co-host of The Kitchen, Saturday mornings on Food Network. She said that her colleagues get crazy and have a lot of fun.
Rachael Ray: Sunny Anderson Slow Cooker Root Beer Rump Roast Recipe Ingredients
Root beer for this roast gives Sunny’s trademark sweet and savory touches. It looked to me like Sunny put in more than a cup of whiskey on the show, but who’s counting? Make sure the garlic gets crushed so the juice and flavors will be released.
Letting the roast come to room temperature gets the cooking process going without putting too much pressure on your slow cooker.
- 1 cup Whiskey
- 1/2 cup grainy Dijon Mustard
- 4 cloves smashed Garlic
- 1/2 tsp whole Black Peppercorn
- 1 5-lb Pork Butt (or Pork Shoulder), skin removed
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 1 2-liter bottle Root Beer
- 1 bunch bundled Thyme
- 3 tsp Kosher Salt
Sunny Anderson: Rachael Ray Slow Cooker Root Beer Rump Roast Recipe Directions
- Take pork from the fridge and rub it down with salt and pepper to season it.
- Let sit at room temperature for two hours.
- Pour whiskey, root beer, ketchup, mustard, thyme, garlic, and peppercorns into a slow cooker.
- Gently place the meat in the Crock Pot with the other ingredients.
- Cook on low for about seven hours, until very tender.
- Remove bone and thyme bundle.
- Shred the pork while it’s still in the juicy broth.
- Serve as desired, on buns or over pasta or rice.