Rachael Ray: Roasted Tomatoes Recipe
Rachael Ray’s family loves to cook and loves to eat, and the basis of this recipe is roasted vegetables. Check out this Roasted Tomato, Garlic & Red Pepper Sauce Recipe, served in this case with Pici.
“Roasting vegetables really brings them to life," she said. “It gives them a very distinct flavor. Slightly smoky, it intensified whatever flavor they have naturally." Though tomato season is short, roasting is one way to bring tomatoes back to life any time of year. Plus, making your own sauce means you don’t have to worry about additives or preservatives.
Rachael Ray: Roasted Tomato, Garlic & Red Pepper Sauce Recipe Ingredients with Pici
- 4 1/2 lb halved Roma Tomatoes (or use Vine Tomatoes)
- 11 sprigs fresh Thyme
- 4 Basil leaves
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 bulbs Garlic, cut on the ends
- 2 Red Field Peppers (or use Bell Peppers)
- 1 1/2 lbs Pici (or use Bucatini)
- grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Rachael Ray: Roasted Tomato, Garlic & Red Pepper Sauce with Pici Recipe Directions
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Drizzle olive oil over garlic bulbs and wrap them in foil.
- Roast garlic until soft and golden, about 35 minutes.
- Remove garlic and reduce oven temperature to 350.
- Arrange tomatoes on baking sheets and drizzle with oil; salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle fresh thyme over the tomatoes, roasting them for about one hour.
- Char peppers in the broiler or over the flame on a stove to blacken the skins.
- Let peppers cool, covered, in a bowl.
- Once they can be handled, peel and seed them.
- Work in batches to puree tomatoes with garlic cloves, basil, and red peppers in a food processor.
- Combine the finished products in a simmering pot to keep it hot.
- Boil a pot of heavily salted water and cook Pici or Bucatini to al dente.
- Add about one cup of starchy cooking water to the sauce as you drain the pasta.
- Toss pasta with butter and about half of the sauce.
- Serve family-style or in shallow bowls, topping with remaining sauce and garnishing generously with cheese.