Rachael Ray: Slow Cooker in the Oven?
Rachael Ray said you can make any slow cooker meal in the oven. Just turn the burner down to low or set your oven to its lowest temperature. Of course, a Crock Pot or slow cooker can be a great investment if you love to throw and go your meals with a busy schedule. Rachael Ray cooked up this Pork Stew Recipe with Ancho Chiles and Squash, and now you can too.
Pork Butt (or Pork Shoulder) is a very cost-effective protein, but it is best when it is slow cooked. Brown it in batches first, so that you get plenty of great flavor in the dish. You could add or subtract veggies (try it with celery, for example).
If you use ground spices, add them with the onions and garlic. If you’re toasting them from whole, use a spice grinder to work them up and then add them to the pot.
Rachael Ray: Pork Stew Recipe with Ancho Chiles and Squash Ingredients
- 4 seeded, stemmed Ancho Chiles
- 2 tsp Coriander, Cumin, and Fennel
- 6 cloves sliced Garlic
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 3 cups Chicken Stock (or use Beef Stock)
- 3 lb cubed Pork Shoulder
- 2 chopped Onions
- 2 lb peeled, cut Butternut Squash
- Toasted Pepitas
- Lime-Pickled Onions
- 2 tsp Canola Oil (or use Olive Oil)
- Salt & Pepper
Rachael Ray: Ancho Chile & Squash Pork Stew Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Place chiles in a pot, cover with stock, and simmer peppers to soften them (they should have the texture of raisins when they’re done).
- Puree the chiles and set them aside.
- If you are toasting your own seeds, do that and then grind them.
- Let meat come to room temperature.
- Pat dry; salt and pepper.
- On medium high, heat oil in a dutch oven.
- Brown meat in batches and set aside.
- Add garlic, onions, and spices.
- Cook, partially covered, about seven to eight minutes.
- Add pork, squash, pepper puree, and honey.
- Stir. Cover and place in the oven.
- Roast for 80-85 minutes, until tender.
- Serve with your choice of topping options.