Rachael Ray: Gluten-Free Polenta Pizza Crust
Rachael Ray’s latest idea was a deep-dish style pizza with a polenta crust. You know how pizza works, so you can change up any of the toppings in place of mushroom and sausage. Using polenta makes this gluten-free. Check out Rachael’s Polenta Deep Dish Pizza Recipe.
Use the sausage drippings to give the mushrooms some flavor. Instant polenta cooks quickly and just one cup will give you enough to make a pizza crust to feed three or four people. If you want to cut the stock a bit, you can use a little milk in its place.
Choose sheep’s milk ricotta for a tangy taste, or use cow’s milk ricotta for a sweeter flavor.
Rachael Ray: Polenta Deep-Dish Pizza Recipe Ingredients with Mushrooms and Sausage
- 1 1/2 cups drained fresh Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup quick-cooking Polenta
- 1/2 lb sliced Cremini Mushrooms
- 2 cloves chopped Garlic
- 3 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
- 1/8 tsp grated Nutmeg
- 3/4 lb Sweet Italian Sausage with Fennel
- 2 tbsp chopped Thyme
- 1/2 lb shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Rachael Ray: Polenta Deep-Dish White Mushroom and Sausage Pizza Recipe Directions
- Drain ricotta in cheesecloth or over a strainer overnight or for up to 24 hours.
- Take stock to a low boil.
- Whisk polenta into the stock and let it thicken for three to four minutes.
- Add parmesan, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Let cool.
- Prepare a 9” cake pan or springform pan with olive oil.
- Line bottom and sides with polenta to create your deep crust.
- Preheat your oven on 425 F.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium high.
- Brown sausage and crumble it before removing to a plate.
- Add more oil if needed. Brown the mushrooms with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Stir in garlic and let cook about a minute.
- Spread drained ricotta over polenta crust.
- Top with a layer of half the sausage and mushrooms.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella over this in a layer.
- Top with the remaining mushrooms and sausage.
- Bake about half an hour, until it’s brown and bubbly.