Rachael Ray: Katie Holmes
Katie Holmes confessed to Rachael Ray that she loves to eat cheese sauce by itself when she is cooking, so the host taught her guest how to make a lighter version of a classic comfort food with this Macaroni and Cheese Primavera Recipe.
There is a blend of three delicious cheeses, and the sauce is cut with stock, which helps to make the calorie count a tad lower. Plus, the rich flavors mean you don’t need quite as much cheese as you might typically use, and it’s still going to taste gooey and delicious.
Rachael and Katie also agreed that it’s fun to make a mess while you’re cooking. Keep an eye out for upcoming movies featuring Katie, including the movie version of The Giver, which was filmed in South Africa.
Rachael Ray: Macaroni and Cheese Primavera Recipe Ingredients
- 5 or 6 sliced baby Zucchini
- 3 or 4 sliced green Vidalia Onions (or use Leeks)
- 1/4 cup chopped Garlic scapes
- 1 Lemon wedge
- 5 or 6 trimmed, sliced baby Carrots
- 2 or 3 trimmed, sliced baby Fennel
- sliced Snap Peas
- 1/4 cup chopped Tarragon
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Cheese Sauce Ingredients
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 2 cups Fontina Val d’Aosta (or use Gruyere)
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 2 cups warm Milk
- 1 cup grated Asiago Cheese
- 1 lb Cavatappi Macaroni (or use Penne Rigate)
- Salt & Pepper
Rachael Ray: Macaroni and Cheese Primavera Recipe Directions
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Boil a pot of salted water for your pasta.
- Heat olive oil on medium high in a skillet.
- Cook vegetables and garlic with salt and pepper, sauteing about five minutes.
- Remove from heat, drizzle with lemon juice and toss in tarragon.
- On medium heat, melt butter in a pot.
- Whisk flour for one minute. Stir in stock to thicken one to two minutes.
- Whisk in warm milk with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Let thicken.
- Stir in cheeses in a figure-8 stirring pattern, a little at a time, to fully incorporate.
- Undercook pasta in the salted water, going two or three minutes less than the package directions.
- Drain pasta and add noodles to the pot.
- Pour in cheese sauce and vegetables.
- Stir, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a casserole and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake about 20-25 minutes, until bubbly and brown.