Rachael Ray: Chicken for Dinner
Use fennel and onion to accentuate a delicious chicken dinner that will sing, like Rachael Ray did while making her Italian Roast Chicken with Fennel Recipe. She admitted that she talks and/or sings to food when she is cooking at home.
Pan drippings can help to layer even more flavor for your dish, so Rachael used dry vermouth to deglaze her roasting pan. It is also good with seafood dishes, in which it will cut down on the fishy smell that you don’t want lingering in the air. (You can use a dry white wine if you don’t have vermouth handy.)
You can always put lemons in the microwave for about 10 seconds, or firmly press and roll them on the counter, to help get the most fresh juice out of them.
Rachael Ray: Italian Roast Chicken with Fennel Recipe Ingredients
- 6 bone-in, skin-on Chicken Breasts
- 2 wedged bulbs Fennel
- 4 cloves crushed Garlic
- 2 tbsp Rosemary leaves
- 3 tbsp flat-leaf Parsley
- 1 tsp Red Chili Flakes
- 1 tbsp Onion Flakes
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 2 peeled, wedged Onions
- 1 tbsp toasted Fennel Seed
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 tbsp Thyme leaves
- 9 Sage leaves
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 cup Dry Vermouth
- Juice of 1 Lemon (with Wedges)
- 2 1/2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Rachael Ray: Italian Roast Chicken Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven at 425 F.
- Salt and pepper the chicken.
- Combine fresh fennel and onions with olive oil and use this to dress the chicken.
- Pulse fennel seed with herbs, lemon zest, garlic, chili powder, and onion flakes.
- Dress chicken with seasonings.
- Roast about 45 to 50 minutes before removing to a platter.
- Put the roasting pan on the stove over medium heat.
- Whisk juices with vermouth until reduced by half.
- Add butter, followed by lemon juice.
- Pour this sauce over the chicken, fennel, and onions.
- Serve with bread and lemon wedges.