Rachael Ray: Tex-Mex Chicken & Waffles
For Waffle Week, Rachael Ray made a delicious version of Chicken & Waffles, using this Green Chili Corn Waffles Recipe and Bacon Pan Gravy. Bobby Flay told her that Chicken & Waffles was created by Harlem jazz singers in the 1940s, when they combined chicken and waffles for late night/early morning meals.
Bobby said that pancakes and waffles require folding, not heavy beating. Don’t over mix the batter. Rachael said that the chicken here is prepared more like you might cook duck. I don’t know whether this is breakfast or lunch, but I do know it is making me very hungry!
Rachael Ray: Green Chili Corn Waffles Recipe Ingredients
- 1 3/4 cups Cornmeal
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 4-oz can Chili Peppers
- 1 2/3 cup Milk
- 4 pieces boneless Chicken Breast (skin on)
- 2 tbsp chopped Rosemary
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 cup frozen, defrosted Fire-Roasted Corn
- 1 Egg
- 3 tbsp melted Butter
- 2 cloves chopped Garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped Thyme
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Bacon Pan Gravy Ingredients
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1 3/4 cups Chicken Stock
- 4 slices chopped smoky Bacon
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Olive Oil
Rachael Ray: Green Chili Corn Waffles Recipe Directions
- Preheat a waffle iron on high.
- Whisk flour with cornmeal, sugar, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Stir in chilies, corn , milk, egg, and butter.
- Prepare the waffle iron and cook to a crisp.
- Rub garlic and herbs under skin of chicken breast. Salt and pepper.
- Place chicken, skin down, into a cold skillet in olive oil.
- Heat to medium high and use a weight or another skillet to press meat down.
- Cook about 12 minutes before flipping the meat over to cook another six minutes or so.
- Let chicken rest.
- To make the gravy, heat a skillet on medium high.
- Brown bacon and let drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Clean pan and return to heat with melted butter and black pepper.
- Whisk flour with butter for one minute.
- Add Worcestershire with stock.
- Let thicken and return bacon to the pan.
- Add lime juice to the chicken.
- Serve chicken over waffles, topped with honey, hot sauce, and/or gravy.