Rachael Ray: New 30 Minute Meal
Are you ready for a new 30 Minute Meal at dinner tonight? Rachael Ray said her Florentine Penne is easy, and chicken is always a go-to protein.
Rachael Ray: How To Clean Mushrooms
Rachael said that Florentine to her means a white sauce with mushrooms, onions and garlic. Make sure to remove the stems from your mushrooms (and remove the gills if you are talking about portobellos).
Do not leave your mushrooms under running water in a colander. Instead, use a clean, damp towel to wipe away the grit from the outside of the mushroom. Otherwise, you will end up with rubbery mushrooms.
The meaty flavor of Cremini pairs well with dark meat chicken, according to Rach. Do not salt the mushrooms until they have browned, or you will draw out the liquid and affect the flavor and color of the finished product.
Rachael Ray: Florentine Penne with Chicken Recipe Ingredients
- 3/4 lb sliced Cremini Mushrooms (or use Button Mushrooms)
- 4 cloves chopped Garlic
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 1 3/4 cups Whole Milk
- 16 oz chopped, frozen, defrosted, dried Spinach
- Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
- 1 1/4 lb diced Chicken Thighs
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- grated Nutmeg
- 1 lb Penne
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Rachael Ray: Florentine Penne Recipe with Chicken Directions
- On medium high in a skillet, heat olive oil.
- Brown chicken in the oil and let it rest on a plate.
- Melt butter in the pan.
- Brown mushrooms around five minutes.
- Add garlic and onions with salt and pepper.
- Lower heat and soften the onions for about five minutes.
- Stir in flour for one minute.
- Pour in the wine and let it reduce by half.
- Add stock with milk and let thicken.
- Add nutmeg and spinach, stirring to evenly heat it.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Add a handful of cheese.
- Return chicken to the pan.
- Boil salted water for pasta and cook noodles to al dente.
- Drain water, saving a cup to add to the sauce.
- Toss sauce with chicken and noodles.
- Serve garnished with extra cheese.