Rachael Ray: Emeril Lagasse
Rachael Ray was proud to welcome Emeril Lagasse to help her deduce the identity of the year’s first Mystery Taster. He stepped into her kitchen and prepared a True Bolognese Recipe for their surprise guest.
Emeril said you can make this dish lighter by using turkey as the meat. Brighten it up with a classic mirepoix, and layer the seasonings throughout the cooking process. Keep scraping the ingredients down and don’t rush the great taste. Rachael said she thinks veal tastes buttery.
“I don’t cook with any wine that I don’t drink," Emeril said, noting that he prefers white wine to red. When it was time to serve, Mystery Taster Dr Phil stumped Emeril and Rach. Dr Phil is celebrating 2,000 episodes of his daytime talk show.
Rachael Ray: Emeril Lagasse True Bolognese Recipe Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups diced Onion
- 3/4 cup diced Celery
- 1/2 lb Ground Veal
- 3/4 cup Dry White Wine
- 1 1/2 cups Beef Stock
- 2 tbsp chopped Parsley
- 8 oz chopped Pancetta
- 3/4 cup diced Carrot
- 1 lb ground Sirloin
- 3 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced Garlic
- 1 cup Half & Half
- 1 lb Pasta (cooked to al dente)
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Emeril Lagasse: Rachael Ray True Bolognese Recipe Directions
- Heat olive oil on medium high in a dutch oven.
- Crisp pancetta about even minutes.
- Add in celery, carrot, onion, salt and pepper.
- Cook to caramelize vegetables, around five minutes.
- Turn temperature to high and mix in veal with sirloin, breaking up the meat as you stir.
- Brown the meat about five minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook for a couple minutes.
- Add garlic with wine and cook to reduce for another two minutes.
- Add stock and turn heat down to low.
- Cook, partly covered, about 10 minutes to nearly evaporate all the liquid.
- Add 1/2 cup Half & Half and cook for approximately 35 minutes.
- Add more Half & Half as the sauce reduces during cooking.
- Stir in parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper before serving.
- Toss this sauce with pasta and garnish with grated cheese.