Rachael Ray: Chicken Un-Pizza
You can make pizza without using a crust, thanks to Rachael Ray, who had an idea for a gluten-free way to make a delicious pizza-inspired meal. Try her Pizzette-Style Chicken Paillard, which uses protein as the crust base for the dish.
To pound out chicken using a mallet, for this type of recipe or a cutlet, pound slowly and evenly across the surface. You can even gently but firmly pound it back into place if it tears in the process.
Rachael Ray: Pizzette-Style Chicken Paillard Recipe Ingredients
The flavors for this dish evoke spicy sausage, and Rachael went heavy on the seasonings because she likes a kick of flavor. Halving the tomatoes helps them cook faster, but if you cook them whole for a bit longer, they will burst on their own because the pan is covered.
This recipe gives you personal pizzettes of chicken that your friends or family can customize to their own tastes.
- 4 6-oz butterflied Chicken Breasts (pounded ~1/8” thick)
- 1 tsp granulated Onion
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 cloves sliced Garlic
- Basil leaves
- 1 tsp granulated Garlic
- 1 tsp Fennel Seed
- 2 tbsp chopped Thyme
- 1 1/2 pints halved Grape Tomatoes (or use Cherry Tomatoes)
- 1 lb sliced or shredded Mozzarella
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Rachael Ray: Pizzette-Style Chicken Paillard Recipe Directions
- Drizzle chicken in olive oil with granulated onion, granulated garlic, thyme, red pepper, fennel, salt and pepper.
- Let marinate while you preheat a grill pan on medium high.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet.
- Stir sliced garlic into the oil before adding tomatoes and salt.
- Cover and cook about nine minutes, occasionally moving the pan.
- Wilt basil in the sauce.
- Cook chicken in batches in the grill pan for a few minutes per side.
- Transfer cooked chicken to baking sheet or sheets to keep warm while you cook the rest.
- Top chicken pizza-style with tomato sauce and mozzarella.
- Broil to melt the cheese to a brown.
- Garnish with arugula and Parmigiano.