Rachael Ray: Classic Chicken Dinner
Chicken and Dumplings is a family classic dinner, and Rachael Ray has prepared it once again for your family’s dinner. She recommended using Jiffy mix to save time on measuring, and it all starts with the chicken.
Rachael said that a whole chicken is one of your grocery store’s best buys, because it will create the most flavorful chicken and dumplings you have ever tasted in your life. “You really get a lot of bang for your buck if you have the time to start with a whole chicken,” she said.
Rachael Ray: Chicken and Dumplings Recipe Ingredients
- 2 cloves crushed Garlic
- 1 Bay leaf
- Parsley, Rosemary & Thyme
- Salt & Pepper
- 3/4 lb sliced Cremini Mushrooms
- 4 sliced Shallots
- 2 halved Leeks (washed and cut into half moons)
- 2 tbsp chopped Dill
- 5 1/2 cups Chicken Poaching Liquid
- 1/3 lb trimmed Haricot Verts
- 1 sliced Lemon
- 6 Peppercorns
- 1 4-lb Chicken
- Canola Oil
- 4 slices diced Applewood Bacon
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 2 cloves chopped Garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped Thyme
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 11 trimmed, halved Baby Carrots
- 1 1/4 cup Flour
- 1/4 tsp grated Nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Buttermilk
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 beaten Eggs
Rachael Ray: Chicken and Dumplings Recipe Directions
- Combine poaching ingredients in a large pot.
- Cover with water and bring to boil.
- Salt and simmer on a low boil for one hour.
- Turn chicken using tongs, halfway through.
- Remove from heat and let chicken fully cool.
- Remove skin and bones.
- Slice chicken into thick sections and set aside.
- Store excess stock for future use.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet on medium high.
- Add bacon to brown it once oil smokes.
- Remove bacon to a plate.
- Brown mushrooms
- Melt butter with shallots, garlic, thyme, dill, salt and pepper.
- Cook about seven to eight minutes.
- Add flour, stirring around two minutes.
- Add some of the poaching liquid and bubble.
- Thicken to form a gravy consistency.
- Mix in carrots and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add chicken and haricot verts.
- Whisk flour with nutmeg, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Combine buttermilk and eggs in this dumpling mixture.
- Drop dumplings into the chicken and gravy.
- Cover and steam cook for about nine minutes.