Rachael Ray: Artichoke Carbonara for Valentine’s Day
Rachael Ray said that she makes her husband’s favorite Artichoke Carbonara Recipe every year on Valentine’s Day when she spends the night in with John. He contributed a French Winter Cocktail to the menu.
Rachael Ray: John’s French Winter Cocktail Recipe
John is the mixologist of the couple, and he shared this champagne French Winter Cocktail (inspired by the French 75) with Rachael and the audience, for Valentine’s Day or any warm winter evening with a lover.
- 1 oz Gin (or use Cognac)
- 1/2 oz Simple Syrup
- 1/2 oz Blood Orange Juice
- chilled Champagne
- Orange Bitters
- Combine gin, syrup, and juice with ice in a shaker.
- Shake and strain into a champagne flute.
- Top off with champagne and orange bitters.
Rachael Ray: Carbonara with Artichokes Recipe Ingredients
Rachael’s advice for artichokes is to strip them down to the light pale color, leaving on a bit of the stem. Quarter them and cut away the fibrous chokes. Do you cook with fresh artichokes?
- 3 medium Artichokes
- 3 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/3 lb diced Pancetta
- 1/2 cup Dry White Wine
- 3 beaten Egg Yolks
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 3 cloves chopped Garlic
- 1 lb Spaghetti
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
- 3 tbsp chopped Herbs
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Rachael Ray: Carbonara with Artichokes Recipe Directions
- Trim artichokes and peel the outer layer.
- Halve artichokes, scraping out the spiny bits and slicing them.
- Mix artichokes with lemon juice and water in a bowl.
- Warm stock in a pot.
- Boil a pot of salted water for the pasta.
- Heat olive oil on medium high in a skillet and render the pancetta. Remove and reserve.
- Remove artichokes from lemon water and gently dry.
- Add artichokes to oil and brown on both sides for about five minutes.
- Stir in garlic for a few minutes.
- Pour in wine and half the stock. Cook about nine minutes, partly covered.
- Pepper the pan and return pancetta. Reduce to a simmer.
- Cook pasta to al dente in the salted water.
- Whisk egg yolks and temper with the rest of the stock.
- Drain pasta and toss it with artichokes.
- Add egg to skillet mixture.
- Toss with cheese and herbs. Salt and serve.