Rachael Ray: Sunny Anderson’s Maple Chicken & Waffles Casserole
Rachael Ray: Maple Chicken & Waffles Casserole Recipe Ingredients
For the waffles:
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of divided sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3 separated eggs
- 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cups of milk
- 1/4 cup of vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Cooking spray
For the custard:
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of buttermilk
- 2 of finely chopped scallions
- 1/4 teaspoon of Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground thyme
- 1 clove of garlic that has grated on a rasp
- Kosher salt and of black pepper (freshly ground)
- 5 beaten eggs
- 1 rotisserie chicken with skin removed and meat shredded
For the topping:
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup, and more for serving
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups French fried onions, that you have gently crushed in plastic bag or between two sheets
Rachael Ray: Maple Chicken & Waffles Casserole Recipe Directions
To Make The Waffle Batter:
- Mix together flour, baking powder, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt in a large bowl and sift to combine.
- In a separate, small bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth, then add the brown sugar, milk, oil, lemon extract and lemon zest. Whisk this mixture until the brown sugar is dissolved.
- In the middle of the dry ingredients, make a well.
- Pour your wet ingredients and stir them, preferably with a wooden spoon. Make sure not to overmix the batter. Only mix until the ingredients are just combined.
- In a separate, thoroughly cleaned bowl, whisk the egg whites until they are foamy.
- Add the your remaining sugar to the whites and beat the mixture until peaks begin to form.
- Fold these whites into the batter gently.
To Cook The Waffles:
- As a waffle iron is heating up, coat the top and bottom of it with cooking spray.
- Pour 1/2 to 1/4 of a cup of batter into the waffle iron, close it, and cook it until it is golden brown and crispy.
- This should take about 5 to 6 minutes, depending on the settings of your iron.
- Once the waffle has cooled, pop it in a toaster and toast to remove all remaining moisture from the waffle.
- Another option is to toast them directly on the oven rack at 150 degrees fahrenheit. When the waffles are finished, a tap on the top should feel more hard than soft.
- Using the squares as a guide, cut each waffle into its individual squares.
To Mix The Custard:
- Mix the heavy cream, maple syrup, buttermilk, scallions, Hungarian paprika, thyme, garlic, and a little bit of coarse black pepper together in a large mixing bowl.
- Season to taste with salt, then add you eggs and whisk the mixture until it is combined.
- Toss in your chicken and waffle squares and stir them together.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, so that the waffles with soak up the custard.
To Assemble The Casserole:
- Line the inside of an 8×8″ dish with butter.
- Pour your chicken and waffle mixture into the dish and lightly pat it down.
To Top & Bake The Casserole:
- Whisk together maple syrup, lemon zest and juice in a medium bowl.
- Fold in your french fried onions.
- Sprinkle the mixture evenly across the casserole.
- Place in the oven and bake it until the crust is crispy and golden in parts. The custard should also be set. This should take 25 to 30 minutes.
- Once you have removed the casserole from the oven, allow it to cool for 10 minutes before serving.