Rachael Ray: Kevin Bacon Reinvents the BLT
Rachael Ray is kicking off an entire hour of bacon with one of her favorite guest, Kevin Bacon. He knows a thing or two about bacon. He tells Rachael Ray he has re-invented the BLT. He now makes sandwiches he calls BLASTS. It is a sandwich that has bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado and smoked salmon.
Kevin Bacon: Real Bacon Product or Fake Bacon?
Rachael Ray puts Kevin Bacon’s bacon knowledge to the test when she plays Fakin’ or Bacon with him. Basically the game involves Kevin Bacon trying to figure out which products are real and which are not. Do you think bacon toothpaste is real? How about bacon flavored water?
Kevin Bacon: The Following
Kevin Bacon is also stopping by to talk about his role in the new series, The Following.
Rachael Ray BLT Penne Recipe
Rachael Ray BLT Penne Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound lean smoky bacon
- 4 medium leeks, halved lengthwise, sliced 1-inch thick
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound penne rigate
- Grated Pecorino cheese
Rachael Ray BLT Penne Directions:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and when crispy, add leeks, garlic, thyme and pepper. Sauté 5 to 6 minutes then deglaze the pan with wine. Add tomatoes and cover pan. Cook tomatoes until they burst, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cook penne to al dente. Toss pasta with sauce and cheese.
Todd Fisher Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf Recipe
Rachael Ray is also inviting the author of United States of Bacon, Todd Fisher, to share some of his favorite bacon recipes. Check out his bacon-wrapped meatloaf recipe below.
Todd Fisher Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf Ingredients:
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 bunch Italian parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 1/2 pounds ground, grass-fed chuck
- 1/2 pound ground pork shoulder
- 2 ounces plus 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 pound Applewood-smoked bacon
For the Chipotle Bacon Red Eye Gravy:
- 1/2 pound Applewood bacon, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle pepper
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2/3 cup black coffee
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
Todd Fisher Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf Directions:
- In the food processor place the garlic, celery, carrot, parsley and onion, and pulse until finely chopped.
- In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, combine the ground chuck, pork shoulder and bacon fat with the eggs, mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and dry seasonings. Start mixer on low until partially incorporated then add ground vegetables and continue mixing until smooth. Add breadcrumbs and mix just until incorporated.
- In a 4-inch loaf pan, lay in strips of bacon, press them against the wall of the pan, allowing the ends of each piece to drape over the sides. At the ends of the pan, lay in additional slices of bacon, allowing one end to drape over the side. Carefully load the pan with your meatloaf mixture and press the filling into the pan to force out any air pockets. Fold over bacon ends to seal the meatloaf in the pan and place in a 375 degree oven for 1 hour.
- Remove pan from oven and allow it to cool. Once 4×4 is cooled you can turn it out onto a cutting board and slice your portions.
- To serve, warm a indoor griddle or large sauté pan with 1 tablespoon bacon fat and sear each slice of meatloaf till a nice crust forms, flip and sear the other side.
Chipotle Bacon Red Eye Gravy:
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Cook bacon until browned, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, add shallots and cook until translucent. Sprinkle flour over the pan drippings. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and add minced chipotle, adobo sauce, ketchup and coffee into the pan. Cook and stir until combined and thickened.