Live With Kelly: Grilling with the Stars
On “Live With Kelly” July 27, actor Lou Diamond Phillips appeared on Grilling with the Stars. The “Live” summer segment features various celebrities, who teach the hosts and viewers one of their favorite grilling recipes. At the end of the summer, the recipe with the most votes will win $25,000 for the charity of the celebrity’s choice, plus the coveted “Mirror Weiner” trophy.
All summer long, we’ve learned some great summer recipes from a host of stars: first, “Melissa & Joey” star Joey Lawrence shared his healthy Fish Tacos. Then, we learned a healthy vegan dish from actress Marilu Henner, and “Sister Act” star Raven-Symone made Divine Honey Lime Grilled Tuna. Singer Ashanti stopped by to make Pineapple Chicken Skewers. Caroline Manzo from the “Real Housewives of New Jersey” taught the hosts how to make her famous Short Rib Sliders. Then, actresses Kristen Johnson and Carla Gugino both appeared with recipes for Summer Steak Salad and Chipotle Mahi-Mahi, respectively. Lastly, “Jersey Shore” star Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino made Summer Grilled Chicken with Avocado Salsa.
Lou Diamond Phillips: Carne Asada Salad Recipe
Lou Diamond Phillips is the star of A&E’s Western series “Longmire,” which just got picked up for a second season. Lou’s recipe was for a carne asada salad, and he is playing for Operation Second Chance to benefit the Wounded Warriors. Let’s get started on Lou’s recipe:
Ingredients for Rub:
- 1 Tablespoon each Chile Powder & Fresh Oregano
- 1/2 Tablespoon each Chipotle Powder, Ancho Powder & Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Ingredients for Marinade:
- 1/4 Cup each Soy Sauce & Orange Juice
- Juice of 1 Lime & 1 Lemon
- 1/2 Bottle of Beer
Ingredients for Dressing (Blend together in blender):
- 1/4 Cup each Tequila, Fresh Lime Juice, & Orange Juice
- 2 Roasted Garlic Cloves
- 2 Roasted Jalapenos (skinned and seeded)
- 2 Tablespoons each fresh Oregano & Thyme
- Pound out your meat (Lou uses a boneless ribeye) on the counter, then rub the paste into the meat.
- Add meat to marinade, then marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- Cook meat on the grill.
- Slice your grilled steak and place on top of a bed of lettuce. Top with avocado and dressing.
Kelly and Joel both loved Lou’s Carne Asada Salad, so be sure to give it a try at home. To vote for your favorite Grilling with the Stars recipe, head to the “Live With Kelly” site.