Kelly & Michael: Trisha Yearwood Emmy Nomination
Trisha Yearwood was on the show May 28 2103 to share some of her Southern recipes. The Emmy nominated host of Trisha’s Southern Kitchen shared some of her favorite recipes, like her pork chops and rice recipe and a recipe for lemon squares.
She made sure everyone in the audience knew the recipe was her mother’s and she loved making it because it made her feel closer to her mother who passed away recently. Always remember. Cooking involves more than food.
Trisha Yearwood Pork Chops and Rice Recipe
Trisha Yearwood Pork Chops and Rice Ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup long grain white or brown rice
- 4 pork chops, bone in
- Salt, to taste
- One 10-ounce can beef broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 onion slices, separated into rings
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Trisha Yearwood Pork Chops and Rice Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the rice and saute for about five minutes until the rice is brown.
- Spread the rice in a 9x13x2-inch casserole dish. Season the pork chops with the salt and arrange them on top of the rice. Pour the broth and water over the chops. Spread the onion rings over the chops and sprinkle them with the pepper.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Add more broth if the rice is dry and if you would like a crispy dish, broil the pork chops and rice for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
Kelly Ripa: Trisha Yearwood String Beans and Tomatoes Recipe
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- One 10-ounce can tomatoes with chiles
- 3 cups sliced fresh string beans, in 1/2-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- In a medium skillet, saute the onion, bell pepper and garlic in the butter until tender. Add the ketchup, carrot, basil and all tomatoes, then cook 10 to 15 minutes longer. Add the string beans, season with salt and pepper and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve over rice or as a side dish.
Michael Strahan: Trisha Yearwood Lemon Squares Recipe
Trisha Yearwood Lemon Squares Ingredients:
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners’ sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13x2-inch pan with cooking spray.
For the crust:
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Mix the flour and confectioners’ sugar in a bowl and add the melted butter, mixing until a dough forms. Press the mixture firmly into the pan. Bake the crust for 25 minutes.
For the filling:
- While the crust is baking, combine the eggs, lemon juice, zest, granulated sugar, flour, baking powder and salt and beat until smooth. Pour the mixture over the baked crust. Bake for 20 minutes more.
- Remove pan from the oven and let it cool completely. Sprinkle the top with confectioners’ sugar, cut and serve
Live! with Kelly Mattel Game Pack Contest
Kelly and Michael have a new contest for the next three weeks. They are giving everyone who has their inbox message read on the show a one in ten chance of winning a Mattel game pack.
Kelly kicked off the contest by reading an email from a woman who said she was so happy she got the chance to watch Oprah on the show today, adding that she loved the show today.