Live! Thanksgiving Family Recipe Week
Recapo update: For more recipe concepts, check our Thanksgiving Pinterest page.
This week has provided us with some great new recipes to try for the upcoming holidays. First we learned Kelly Ripa’s Autumn Squash Soup Recipe. Then, Michael’s fiance Nicole taught us her decadent Pumpkin Pudding Crunch, and Michael himself made a Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows. The next member of the Live! family on Thanksgiving Family Recipe Week is producer Michael Gelman. Kelly and Michael joined Gelman in the kitchen for not one, but two recipes! Gelman shared his Spicy Brussels Sprout recipe and his Cranberry Sauce recipe.
Gelman’s Spicy Brussels Sprouts Recipe
I may be alone here, but I actually like brussels sprouts. But Gelman says that even if you aren’t a fan, you’ll still like this dish. Gelman likes to use fresh brussels sprouts from the stalk, but you can buy them any way you like. Prepare them for the recipe by soaking them in water for about ten minutes. Here’s what you’ll need to make Gelman’s spicy sprouts.
- 2 lbs Brussel Sprouts
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- Juice from 1 Lemon
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Sage
- 2 Tablespoons Rosemary and Thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Pine Nuts
- 1/4 cup Parmiggiano-Reggiano
- Place brussels sprouts in a plastic bag with a zipper. Add olive oil, fresh herbs, salt and pepper, and shake to mix together. Let sit for one hour to marinate.
- Pour sprouts onto a baking pan in an even layer. Caramelize in the oven for approximately ten minutes at 400-425 degrees, depending on your oven.
- Take sprouts out of the oven, sprinkle with Parmiggiano-Reggiano cheese and pine nuts. You can place them back in the hot oven to melt the cheese and toast the nuts.
- Serve and pair with Pinot Noir or Pinot Grigio.
Gelman’s Cranberry Sauce Recipe
Here’s a dish that you can serve alongside your brussels sprouts: Gelman’s Cranberry Sauce. It’s very simple, but packed with lots of flavor.
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice
- 1 teaspoon 5 Spice Powder
- 3/4 pound Cranberries
- Jalapeno or Serrano Peppers to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Orange Zest
- 1 cup Walnuts
- Add orange juice, maple syrup, 5 spice powder and fresh cranberries to a sauce pan. Bring to a boil.
- Add serrano peppers and orange zest to taste, then add walnuts. If you prefer your sauce a bit sweeter, you can add a drizzle of honey.