Live! Thanksgiving Family Recipe Week
This week has provided some amazing holiday recipes, from Autumn Squash Soup, to Pumpkin Pudding Crunch, to Sweet Potato Casserole and Spicy Brussels Sprouts. To wrap up Thanksgiving Family Recipe week, Kelly welcomed her “favorite” mother-in-law, Camilla Consuelos, to share her recipe for Apple Sausage Stuffing. Camilla first came to America from Italy in 1975, so before that, she never celebrated Thanksgiving. Now, she loves the holiday, because it gives her the chance to count the many blessings she has in her life. In fact, Camilla said that Kelly is one of her very biggest blessings.
I love her! She reminds me of my own Italian grandmother (except a bit more feisty!). Let’s get started on her delicious dish.
Camilla Consuelos: Apple Sausage Stuffing Recipe
Camilla explained that traditionally, Italian stuffing always contains chestnuts. However, when she arrived in America, she could never find chestnuts as good as they were back in Italy. Therefore, she decided to substitute apples for a sweet crunch. Follow Camilla’s instructions for this Consuelos family classic.
- 1 pound Sage Flavored Pork Sasuage
- 1-14 oz Seasoned Herb Stuffing, Cubed
- 6 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 cup each Parsley & Celery
- 2 cups Sweet Onions
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, chopped Apples
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried Thyme
- 3/4 cups Pecans
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 pint Dairy Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Red Wine
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Brown crumbled sausage in a pan over low heat. Camilla emphasized that the crumbles must be small!
- In a bowl, add chicken broth to stuffing and let soak.
- In a separate pan, melt butter over low heat. Add onions, celery, apple, and garlic.
- In another separate bowl, whisk two eggs.
- Add cooked sausage to the bowl with the stuffing and mix thoroughly. Then add cooked vegetables, beaten eggs, wine, thyme, pecans, finely chopped parsley, and sour cream. Mix together.
- Add mixture to baking dish and bake for one hour at 350 degrees.
What do you think? Will you be trying Camilla’s Apple Sausage Stuffing Recipe?