Good Morning America: Mama’s Meatball Recipe
On Good Morning America, Chef Rocco DiSpirito made a Whole Wheat Margherita Pizza. He also showed the team how to make his Mama’s Meatballs and Strawberry Italian Ice.
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup chopped onion
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ cups tomato puree
- 1½ cups diced tomatoes
- ½ medium eggplant, cut in half lengthwise
- 6 ounces lean ground turkey breast
- 4 ounces 96% lean ground beef
- 2 ounces extra-lean ground pork
- 1 large egg white
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
- ½ ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- 2 cups puffed Kamut cereal, such as Arrowhead Mills
- 6 ounces 100% Kamut Intregrale
- Preheat the broiler. Coat a large skillet with 4 seconds of cooking spray. Add half the garlic and half the onion and a pinch of red pepper flakes, place over medium heat, and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add half the chicken broth, half the tomato puree, and half the diced tomatoes; bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Place the eggplant cut-side-up on a broiler pan and broil until lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove the eggplant from the broiler, place it on a microwave-safe plate, and microwave on high until tender, about 2 minutes. Let cool.
- Scoop the eggplant pulp out of its skin and let any excess water drip off. Measure out ½ cup of the pulp, then chop it fine.
- Combine the turkey, beef, and pork in a large bowl. Place the egg white, the remaining chicken broth, remaining onion, remaining garlic, and the parsley in a blender and blend until finely chopped which should take about 30 seconds. Add the mixture to the meat; add the Parmigiano and crumble the Kamut cereal in with your fingers. Add the eggplant, season with salt and red pepper flakes. Mix until it forms a very thick wet paste.
- Form the mixture into balls with your hands. Coat a large nonstick skillet with 4 seconds of cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook until lightly browned on one side, about 1 minute. Roll the meatballs and brown on the other side, about 2 minutes.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon salt. Drop the spaghetti in the water cook to your liking.
- Drain the pasta water. Divide the spaghetti, meatballs and sauce among the guests.
Good Morning America: Strawberry Italian Ice Recipe
- 6 packets Stevia, such as Stevia In The Raw (2 teaspoons)
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 tablespoons raw agave nectar
- 1½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups frozen unsweetened
- strawberries—Do Not Thaw!
- Mix the Stevia and xanthan gum together in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- Pour the agave, lemon juice, and water into a high-powered blender. Cover and blend until well combined.
- Add the Stevia and xanthan mixture to the blender. Cover and blend on low until the mixture is well combined, about 10 seconds. Turn off the blender.
- Add the still-frozen strawberries to the blender. Cover and blend on high for 15 seconds.
- This ice will stay fresh and tasty, tightly covered, in the freezer up to a month.