Top Chef Richard Blais: Try This at Home Review
Chef Richard Blais, winner of the first Top Chef All Stars, stopped by Good Morning America to play Guess the Ingredient with GMA’s Lara Spencer and Josh Elliott.
Blais recently released a book called Try This at Home.
“It’s how to cook creatively at home, it’s available for pre-order right now and it hits the shelves early next year,” Blais said. “I’m very excited about it.”
Guess the Ingredient with Richard Blais
For the Guess the Ingredient game, Blais presented healthy foods and had Josh and Lara guess what the secret ingredient was.
Caesar Salad with Tofu
The first dish was a Caesar salad. Blais chose to use kale instead of romaine lettuce which is better for you. Blais said the salad had the typical ingredients, Anchovies, lemon and garlic, but also something extra.
Josh guessed buttermilk and Lara guessed low-fat Italian dressing, but both were wrong. The surprise ingredient? Tofu!
“It’s usually made with an emulsion of egg and oil, and we’ve just replaced it with a soft tofu,” Blais said.
Spencer commented on how good the salad was.
Macaroni and Cheese with Greek Yogurt
The second food was macaroni and cheese. Blais called it “stick to your ribs food” and said his kids could live on it. He said it obviously had cheese and macaroni in it, but there was also a secret ingredient.
Again, Josh guessed buttermilk, and Lara didn’t have any idea what it could be. The secret ingredient? Greek yogurt!
“That’s replacing a lot of the butter and flour,” Blais said. “You get a lot more protein in it too.”
Meatless Chili with Garbanzo Beans and Mushrooms
The next concoction was chili. Blais said it had all the traditional spices – cumin, chili pepper, cayenne, peppers, tomatoes and Worcestershire, and one more surprise ingredient.
Spencer noticed that there wasn’t as much meat in it and guessed tofu. Blais said she was on the right track, and Josh revealed the secret ingredient – garbanzo beans and mushrooms.
Chocolate Mousse with Avocados
The final dish Blais served up was chocolate mousse. He said it obviously had chocolate in it, and Elliott again revealed the secret ingredient: avocados.
Spencer said she could taste the avocados after finding out that’s what it was. Blais said all it was is avocados pureed with cocoa powder and agave nectar.
“If I can get my kids to eat that you’re my new hero,” Spencer said.
Richard Blais: Life After Top Chef Review
Blais has a new show coming out called Life After Top Chef, which premieres October 3 2012. The show follows around Blais and three of his Top Chef competitors into their regular lives.
Here are Richard Blais’ tasty recipes with surprisingly healthy ingredients.
Kale Caesar Salad Recipe With Tofu Dressing
- 10 oz. Silken tofu
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of one lemon
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tsp. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. smashed anchovy
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup croutons
- 1 large bag of baby kale
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Dressing: puree tofu in a blender until smooth and thick. Add half of the lemon zest, two thirds of the cheese and the remaining ingredients (except kale and croutons).
- Toss the kale with the dressing and top with the rest of the cheese, croutons and lemon zest.
Macaroni and Cheese Recipe With Greek Yogurt
- 2 cups of cooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup of melted cheese product
- 1/4 cup plain, unsweetened Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- Salt & white pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to the directions on the box.
- Then mix in the melted cheese and yogurt.
- Fold in the shredded and grated cheese, and leave some to top the baking dish.
- Season and place in a baking dish, and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until crusty and golden on top.
Meaty Chili Without Meat Recipe
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped red pepper
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped white onion
- 1 tsp. umami paste
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. ground chick peas
- 3 tbsp. ground mushrooms
- 3 tbsp. canned white beans
- 1 can of Rotel’s Chopped Tomato & Green Chili
- 1/4 cup beet juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup cooked brown rice
- 3 tbsp. shredded jack cheese
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. chopped cilantro
- 3 tsp. sliced scallions
- Olive oil as needed
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Simmer the peppers, onion, garlic, mushrooms, chick peas and spices.
- Let the vegetables cook for a few minutes then add the umami paste and stir for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, beet juice, stock and beans and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Add rice.
- Top with cheese, cilantro and scallions.
Chocolate Mousse With Avocado Recipe
- 2 avocados
- 1 1/2 tbsp. agave nectar
- 2 tbsp. dark cocoa powder
- Prepare and pit avocados.
- Blend avocado with additional ingredients.