Good Morning America: Fred Armisen & Carrie Brownstein
The stars of Portlandia, Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein, visited the GMA team with some meal ideas from the collection of recipes inspired by their sketch comedy show, The Portlandia Cookbook: Cook Like a Local. Check out Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Y2K Apple Pie, and Babysitter’s Mac and Cheese.
Season 5 of Portlandia will premiere on IFC in 2015. Previous seasons are streaming now if you want to get caught up on the quirky series.
Portlandia Cookbook: Good Morning America Brussels Sprouts with Bacon Recipe Ingredients
“Basically, the Brussels Sprouts are just there to help you eat more bacon,” Carrie Brownstein said. She added that Brussels sprouts are among the group of vegetables that have made a comeback lately.
- 1/2 cup Hazelnuts
- 4 oz thick cut Bacon (in 1/2” pieces)
- 2 tbsp Sherry Vinegar
- 1 lb trimmed, halved Brussels Sprouts (walnut size)
- 1 thin sliced Shallot
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Good Morning America: Portlandia Cookbook Brussels Sprouts with Bacon Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven at 350 F.
- Spread hazelnuts in a pie tin, toasting about 12 minutes, until fragrant.
- Let hazelnuts cool before rubbing them together in a towel to remove their skins; chop the nuts.
- Toss Brussels sprouts with oil; salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet on high heat. Once it is hot, add sprouts, cooking them cut sides down.
- After about five minutes, once they are browned, flip them over and cook another three minutes or so before removing them to a plate.
- Cook bacon in the pan on medium for around five minutes, until browned and crisp.
- Add shallots to light brown and soft, maybe another five minutes.
- Return Brussels sprouts to the pan, mixing them in with bacon and shallots.
- Add vinegar and cook until it is almost evaporated.
- Stir the toasted hazelnuts into the mixture and serve immediately.