Good Morning America: Icing Contest Judged by Sprinkles Cupcakes
Candace Nelson, judge of Cupcake Wars, joined Good Morning America’s Lara Spencer for an icing contest. Nelson is also the founder of Sprinkles Cupcakes, a cupcake bakery that is now branching out into ice cream.
“It’s delicious ice cream made from organic California dairy, we just opened our store in Beverly Hills about a month ago, and we’re shipping nationwide so everyone can get their hands on some Sprinkle’s ice cream now,” Nelson said.
GMA: How to Ice the Perfect Cupcake
Nelson demonstrated how to ice the perfect cupcake.
“This is our key lime cupcake recipe,” Nelson said. “The key here is you want to take your cupcakes once they’re freshly baked and brush them with a little key lime to get that real sweet pucker up flavor. For you guys it’s just about icing and everything at Sprinkles is hand frosted and handcrafted.”
The key is to use a big lump of frosting, flatten it down on the cupcake and swirl it around. Then you can top it with your favorite sugar decoration.
Good Morning America: Cupcake Icing Contest
Spencer, Josh Elliott, Sam Champion and George Stephanopoulos each had thirty seconds to ice their cupcakes,
Nelson praised Spencer on her speed, and declared her the winner. Robin Roberts presented a trophy to Spencer.
Key Lime Pie Cupcakes Recipe from Sprinkles Cupcakes
Ingredients – Cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. coarse salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. key lime juice
- 1 tbsp. key lime zest
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- toothpick or skewer
Ingredients – Frosting:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, firm but not cold
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3 1/2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. key lime juice
- 1 tbsp. key lime zest
- 1/2 tsp. milk
Directions – Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare muffin tin with liners.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Separately, combine milk, vanilla, key lime zest and 1 tbsp. of lime juice.
- Cream butter using an electric mixer, on medium-high, until it’s fluffy.
- Fold in sugar and continue to mix. Reduce the speed to medium and gradually add egg & egg whites until blended.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour and mix.
- Add the milk mixture and mix until just blended. Slowly add the remaining flour mix.
- Divide your batter evenly among prepared muffin cups.
- Place muffins in the oven and bake about 20-25 minutes, until tops are dry to the touch.
- Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Use a toothpick or skewer to poke the tops of the cupcakes. Use a pastry brush to brush the rest of the lime juice over the tops of the cupcakes.
- Let cupcakes dry before frosting them.
Directions – Frosting:
- Mix butter and salt until fluffy.
- Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, and beat until combined.
- Mix in vanilla, key lime juice and zest. Do not over-mix frosting.