Good Morning America: Buzzfeed Food Mix and Mash Up
GMA and the online publication Buzzfeed teamed up to create some Frankenfoods of their own. After tackling an inventive breakfast menu, the focus turned to remaking BBQ favorites, such as Emily Fleischaker’s Pimento Cheeseburger Corn Dogs.
This meal is a burger hybrid stuffed inside a corn dog breading. It was also declared the day’s winning recipe in a viewer vote. For more ideas, try a 7-Layer Taco Potato Salad or Chili Mac & Cheese Fries.
Good Morning America: Buzzfeed Pimento Cheeseburger Corn Dogs Recipe Ingredients
- 1 gallon Vegetable Oil
- 1 beaten Egg
- 1 lb chilled Ground Chuck
- 1/2 cup Pimento Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Yellow Cornmeal
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cups Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Soda
- 1 beaten Egg
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 tsp Salt
Buzzfeed: Good Morning America Pimento Cheeseburger Corn Dogs Recipe Directions
- Reserve two tablespoons of vegetable oil and pour the rest into a deep fryer; heat to 350 F.
- Make the batter by combining dry ingredients.
- Slowly mix in the wet ingredients with a wooden spoon, until well combined.
- Mix ingredients for the burger meat and divide them into six equally sized patties.
- On a baking tray, flatten each patty into a 3” x 4” rectangle, about 1/2” thick.
- Place a tablespoon of pimento cheese on each square, in a thin line down the center (leave 1/4” at the ends).
- Roll meat rectangles into hot dog shapes, with pimento cheese in the middle.
- Pinch the ends to keep the cheese inside. You shouldn’t be able to see it.
- Heat the reserved canola oil on high heat in a skillet.
- Once it’s hot, reduce heat to medium high and place patty shapes in the skillet, but don’t let them touch.
- Cook to brown on the bottom for around three minutes.
- Flip patties and cook until done, about another three minutes.
- Let rest on a paper towel-lined plate. Refrigerate about 15 minutes.
- Fill a cup 3/4 full with cornmeal batter (it must be deep enough to dip corn dogs).
- Skewer meat tubes with popsicle sticks, leaving two inches protruding from the bottom.
- Prepare a baking sheet with paper towels and move your batter cup next to the fryer.
- Dip a cheeseburger dog into the batter, holding it by the popsicle stick.
- Transfer immediately to the fryer, submerging it while holding on to the popsicle stick.
- Fry, spinning as needed, to a deep and even golden brown color.
- Transfer to paper towels to rest as you repeat frying steps with remaining dogs (refill batter cup as needed).
- Serve and enjoy.