Good Morning America: Marcus Samuelsson
Celebrity chef Marcus Samuelsson was on Good Morning America to cook from his latest book, Marcus Off Duty: The Recipes I Cook At Home. He made a Poached Chicken recipe with a Ginger-Scallion Sauce. Also try his Lipstick Cobbler dessert.
Robin Roberts said the book was full of personality. Samuelsson’s book and recipes play up on the medley of flavors that come together in America. The book also includes playlists for cooking or entertaining.
Good Morning America: Marcus Samuelsson Poached Chicken with Ginger-Scallion Sauce Recipe Ingredients
Marcus said poaching is a great way to bring out the flavor of chicken, and this dish is inspired by Chinese New Year.
- 1 whole Chicken
- 2 cloves sliced Garlic
- 6 tbsp Peanut Oil
- 3” peeled, minced Ginger
- 1 tbsp Dry Sherry
- 1 stalk pounded Lemongrass
- 1 Red Chile
- 3 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 3 sliced Scallions (in strips)
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Brown Sugar
- 2 sliced Scallions
- 1 peeled, halved, seeded & cut Cucumber
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
Marcus Samuelsson: Good Morning America Poached Chicken with Ginger-Scallion Sauce Recipe Directions
- Cover chicken with water in a stock pot. Add garlic with red chile.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let chicken rest in broth until it cools to lukewarm.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board. Pat dry and rub with sesame oil.
- Cut chicken into eight pieces and arrange on a platter; cover so it stays warm.
- Heat peanut oil on high heat in a saucepan.
- Add strips of scallion to the shimmering oil. Saute and stir for 30 seconds.
- Remove strips with a slotted spoon and let them drain on paper towels.
- Saute ginger for 30 seconds. Then add soy sauce, brown sugar, sherry, and lemongrass.
- Bring to a boil; remove from heat and toss the lemongrass out.
- Arrange sliced scallions with cilantro and cucumber near the chicken on the platter.
- Top with fried scallions and pour sauce on top to serve.