GMA: Emeril Lagasse 13th Annual Mother’s Day Breakfast In Bed Contest
Chef Emeril Lagasse came by Good Morning America February 18 2013 to talk about his 13th annual Mother’s Day Breakfast In Bed contest. Emeril said it is a lot of fun knocking on the door and surprising a special mother with breakfast in bread. Emeril did note that one year, it was a dad.
If you’re interested in the contest, information about it is available on the Good Morning America website.
Emeril Lagasse: Breakfast Bread Pudding Recipe
Emeril Lagasse made his breakfast bread pudding to show the audience what they can expect from him if they won the contest. Although, Emeril is such a famous chef, it’s not as though we weren’t already expecting greatness.
During the cooking of this bread pudding, Emeril accidentally burned Josh Elliott’s hand. Then, Emeril grabbed Josh Elliott’s hand and wanted Lara Spencer to kiss it. Lara, who was standing between them, looked very shocked, as Josh Elliott tried to grab his hand back and Emeril shoved it in her face. It was pretty awkward.
But this meal still looked delicious.
Emeril’s Breakfast Bread Pudding Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil, plus more for greasing the pan
- 1 pound fresh Italian sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups small- diced onion
- 3/4 cup small- diced red bell pepper
- 1 pound zucchini, sliced into 1/4- inch half- moons
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 pound seeded Italian bread, cut into 1/2- inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- 12 ounces fontina cheese, grated
- 2 ounces Parmigiano- Reggiano cheese (about 3/4 cup), finely grated
- 10 eggs
- 2 cups half- and- half
- 1 cup chicken stock or canned low- sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
GMA Breakfast Bread Pudding Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Start by browning the meat. When it starts browning, add red pepper, onion, zucchini and salt.
- Add the bread to the bottom of a buttered 9 by 11 pan.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, chicken broth, salt and pepper.
- Once the sausage mixture is cooked through, pour it on top of the bread. Then, add more bread on top and add the cheese, finally topping with the egg mixture. Pour the egg mixture slowly, so as not to spill.
- Bake the casserole for about an hour, until the cheese is melted, the top is golden brown and it is cooked through.