Good Morning America: Countdown To Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is coming up soon, and Good Morning America invited Emeril Lagasse into the kitchen as part of the Countdown to Thanksgiving, with his Portuguese Stuffing Recipe and more ideas for holiday cooking, like Braised Apples & Squash or Green Bean Casserole from Scratch.
GMA: Emeril Lagasse Miss Hilda’s Portuguese Stuffing Recipe Ingredients
This classic stuffing recipe is named in honor of Emeril’s mother. His mother calls it dressing, but Emeril admitted he refers to it as stuffing.
“The secret to this is soaking the bread,” Emeril said, noting that he does not use stale bread, though some prefer it. He said the technique of soaking the bread is also effective when making a bread pudding.
- 12 cups cubed French Bread
- 1 lb chopped Chorizo Sausage
- 1 cup chopped Green Bell Peppers
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp crushed Red Pepper
- 1 tbsp minced Garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped Parsley
- 4 cups Milk
- 1/4 lb Ground Beef
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Onions
- 1/2 cup chopped Celery
- 2 Eggs
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Emeril Lagasse: GMA Miss Hilda’s Portuguese Stuffing Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven at 375 F.
- Add milk to bread in a large bowl and press bread into the liquid. Let sit for about 15 minutes to soak up the milk.
- Heat olive oil on medium high in a skillet. Brown and stir the ground beef for about a minute.
- Add sausage to the mix, stirring and browning around three minutes.
- Mix in bell peppers with Bay leaf, onions, celery, and red pepper; salt and pepper. Cook about four minutes, stirring now and then.
- Stir in garlic for about 30 seconds, until aromatic.
- Transfer meat mixture to the bowl with the soaked bread and fold together.
- Add egg and stir to mix. Remove bay leaf.
- Transfer to a prepared 13” x 9” baking dish. Spread evenly using a rubber spatula.
- Bake about one hour, until bubbly and golden brown. Serve warm.