Good Morning America: Emeril Lagasse
Chef Emeril Lagasse was on Good Morning America to help folks prepare Thanksgiving side dishes, like a classic made-from-scratch Green Bean Casserole. Also check out his mother’s Portuguese Stuffing and a side of Braised Apples with Acorn Squash.
GMA: Emeril Lagasse Made-from-Scratch Green Bean Casserole Recipe Ingredients
Emeril made his own sauce for these green beans, though he told Amy Robach that using Cream of Mushroom soup is totally fine. I’m going to stick with the simple method, in that case, but if you are feeling ambitious, let Emeril take you away with his recipe.
- 6 tbsp Unsalted Butter (+2 tsp)
- 2 thin sliced Yellow Onions
- 2 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups chopped Yellow Onion
- 1 tbsp minced Garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp Emeril’s Bayou Blast
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 lb trimmed, blanched Green Beans
- 1/3 cup Hot Sauce
- 2 tsp Emeril’s Original Essence
- 1/2 cup fine chopped Celery
- 1 lb cleaned, trimmed, sliced Button Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 3/4 lb cubed Fontina Cheese
- Vegetable Oil
- 3/4 tsp Salt
Emeril Lagasse: GMA Made-from-Scratch Green Bean Casserole Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven at 350 F. Prepare a 13” x 9” casserole dish using butter.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep saucepan or fryer to 360 F.
- Separate sliced onions into rings and toss with hot sauce in a bowl.
- Place two cups of flour in a bowl and dredge onion rings with flour.
- Transfer to a colander and shake over the mixing bowl to remove any excess flour.
- Fry onion rings about one minute per batch; do not overcrowd pan or fryer.
- Place fried onion rings on a paper-towel lined plate to absorb excess oil. Season rings with Essence.
- Melt 6 tbsp butter on high heat in a saucepan. Saute celery with onion for around six minutes.
- Add garlic and cook about one minute.
- Mix in mushrooms with Bayou Blast and salt; cook about five minutes, until mushrooms release liquid and become a soft golden brown.
- Sprinkle mushrooms with 1/4 cup flour and stir.
- Cook and stir for about two minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth with heavy cream. Continue to cook and stir until thick and creamy, about 15 minutes; then remove from heat.
- Mix green beans with fontina cubes and mushroom sauce.
- Arrange this in the casserole dish, topped with onion rings.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.