GMA: Daniel Humm I Love New York Cookbook
Chef Daniel Humm came by Good Morning America April 9 2013 to talk about his new cookbook, I Love New York. The book focuses on New York farmers and products. Daniel Humm said that it’s about paying attention to the ingredients that you eat. He said it’s also about luxury being about more than caviar and wild salmon, but it can also be about a really good egg or a really good piece of cheese. Daniel Humm said that chefs need to pay attention to where the ingredients come from, because the better the ingredient, the better the meal.
GMA: Daniel Humm Ham and Egg Sandwich
Because it is springtime and very nice outside in New York, Daniel Humm cooked this meal outside in Times Square while everyone looked on. While he cooked, Sam Champion and Liz Vargas chowed away on sandwiches on the side.
Daniel Humm Ham and Egg Sandwich Ingredients:
- 8 slices rye bread, 1/4 inch thick
- 1 pound sliced Consider Bardwell Farm Rupert cheese (an aged raw cow’s milk cheese made in the style of Gruyère)
- 1 pound thinly sliced smoked ham
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 eggs
Daniel Humm Ham and Egg Sandwich Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Build sandwiches with a piece of bread, cheese, ham and more cheese.
- Then, using a 2 1/4 round cutter, punch a hole through the layers of ham and cheese and bread.
- Remove the circle and top the sandwich with an unpunched slice of bread.
- Heat up oil in a cast-iron, oven-safe skillet over medium-low heat.
- Place sandwiches hole side down on the skillet and reduce heat. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Flip sandwiches and crack eggs into the holes.
- Put the skillet into the oven.
- Bake until the egg is cooked and cheese is melted, about 10 to 13 minutes.