Good Morning America: Countdown to Thanksgiving
The cast of The Chew visited Good Morning America as part of the Countdown to Thanksgiving, with recipes for Turkey Cooked in Cheesecloth, Stuffed Turkey, and Apple Cider Wassail. Check out these great ideas from the TV chefs.
GMA: Carla Hall Hot Fried Turkey Recipe
You could try Carla Hall’s Hot Fried Turkey Recipe. “You don’t need the big fryer, because you’re breaking it down like a chicken," Carla Hall said. She also mentioned her recipe for Pumpkin Pecan Pie for dessert.
GMA: Michael Symon Juicy Turkey Cooked in Cheesecloth Recipe Ingredients
“I take the cheesecloth, I soak it in water, and then we lay it over the turkey when we roast it, so you don’t have to baste it the whole time," Michael Symon said. Symon also suggested seasoning your turkey the night before you plan to cook it. This method will also ensure that you end up with a perfectly golden turkey.
- 1 10-lb Turkey (innards removed)
- 1 halved head Garlic
- 4 sprigs Thyme
- 1 peeled, quartered Onion
- 1/4 cup picked Fennel fronds
- 4 sprigs Oregano
- 1 quartered Lemon
- 1 quartered Fennel bulb
- 8 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup Chicken Stock (or use Water)
- 2 tbsp Salt
Michael Symon: GMA Juicy Turkey Cooked in Cheesecloth Recipe Directions
- Rinse the turkey inside and out before patting dry; sprinkle with salt. Plastic wrap and chill for 24 hours.
- Remove turkey from refrigerator one to two hours before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Place some garlic, oregano, thyme, and 1/4 lemon in the turkey’s neck cavity. Wrap the neck skin over this opening to contain the seasonings inside.
- Add some garlic, onion, fennel, fennel fronds, and 1/2 lemon inside the body cavity, along with half of the oregano and thyme.
- Arrange the turkey, breast up, on a rack in a roasting pan. Fold wings so tips are tucked beneath the turkey.
- Melt butter on medium in a saucepan. Add the rest of the garlic with onion, lemon, oregano, thyme, and fennel, along with stock.
- Bring to a boil; reduce and simmer for about 10 minutes. Take off heat and let cool a bit.
- Soak a double layer of cheesecloth (large enough to cover the turkey) in your butter mixture. Drape this over the turkey breast and legs in the roasting pan.
- Pour remaining butter mixture over the turkey, and move the herbs and solids to the bottom of the roasting pan, along with the neck and gizzards.
- Roast for 45 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375 F and cook for 15-20 minutes per pound.
- During the last 10 minutes of cooking, remove the cheesecloth. Turkey is done at an internal temperature of 160 F.
- Let rest 20 minutes before carving.