Good Morning America: Thanksgiving Countdown
Thanksgiving will be here before we know it, and Emeril Lagasse dropped in on the Good Morning America team to save the day with side dish recipes, like this one for Braised Apples & Roasted Acorn Squash. Plus, you can try Portuguese Stuffing and Green Bean Casserole.
Lagasse insisted that it’s not too early to start planning for your Thanksgiving meal. Just be sure not to overcook the turkey! He said that is the most common mistake people tend to make.
Good Morning America: Emeril Lagasse Braised Apples, Roasted Acorn Squash and Thyme Recipe Ingredients
Emeril Lagasse said that the thyme is what brings the flavors together in this dish. He noted that you can substitute pears in place of apples if you prefer. This side dish is easy to make ahead of time and reheat just before serving, helping to save precious oven space at Thanksgiving.
- 2 3/4 lb peeled, halved, seeded, diced Acorn Squash
- 1/2 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1/3 cup diced Red Onion
- 2 diced Fuji Apples (or use Gala Apples or Pears)
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock
- 3 tbsp melted Butter
- 1/4 tsp ground Nutmeg
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp chopped Thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp ground White Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
Emeril Lagasse: GMA Braised Apples, Roasted Acorn Squash and Thyme Recipe Directions
- Preheat oven at 450 F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss squash with cinnamon, melted butter, nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Transfer squash to a baking sheet and roast about 15 minutes, until tender. Let rest out of the oven and cool around five minutes.
- Heat butter in a saucepan on medium high. Add onion with salt and pepper; cook about two minutes.
- Add in diced apples with chicken stock and simmer. Cook five minutes and take off heat.
- Combine squash with braised apples, thyme, and cooking liquid. Serve warm.