Ellen: Padma Lakshmi Pondicherry Lentil Salad
Top Chef host Padma Lakshmi stopped by Ellen to show us how to make her Pondicherry Lentil Salad and her Fairy Water. She said she loved the lentil salad because it really helps her detox after a long season on Top Chef. She said she easily gains weight while hosting the show because of trying all the different meals the chefs make. As a secondary benefit, the salad looked amazing.
Padma Lakshmi’s daughter was also in the studio because she loved Ellen and Sophia and Rosie. Ellen said she’d love to meet Padma’s daughter.
- 2 cups beluga black lentils
- 1 Fuji apple, cored and diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- juice of 1 1/2 ripe lemons
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup loosely packed, chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Soak lentils in tepid water for two hours.
- Then, warm olive oil in a large pan. Add the celery, carrots, bell peppers and salt and pepper. Cook for five to seven minutes.
- Combine vegetable mixture with lentils, parsley, apples, balsamic and lemon juice in large bowl. Stir together with hands.
- Meanwhile, put sesame oil, cocoanut, mustard seed and ginger in a pan. Warm up together. This will serve as a crunchy topping for the salad.
Ellen: Padma Lakshmi Fairy Water
- Edible dried rose petals
- Lemon and/or lime sliced in rings.
- Star anise
- Dried jasmine flowers
- Bay leaves
- Green tea
- Mix green tea and water together, about fifty/fifty.
- Then combine the rest of the ingredients in the water.
- Drink and enjoy!