Dr Oz: Todd Wilbur Recipes & Comfort Food Makeover
Recipe master Todd Wilbur was back on Dr Oz to remake another comfort food treat into a more healthy version. Check out his Healthy Blooming Onion Recipe featured on the show, and don’t forget about some of his other creations, like Domino’s Pizza, Cinnabon Rolls, Wendy’s Chili, and KFC Fried Chicken.
Wilbur is the host of Top Secret Recipe, and he learned how to make these onions from the man who created them. A restaurant blooming onion is 1,948 calories and 160 grams of fat. When you make Todd’s recipe below, you will cut that down to 520 calories and 30 grams of fat. Just remember to share and cut the calories even more!
Dr Oz: Todd Wilbur Healthy Blooming Onion Recipe Ingredients
- 1 large Yellow Onion
- 1 6-oz Tomato Paste can
- 10 oz Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tbsp Paprika
- 1 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground Savory
- 4 Eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp White Pepper
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Panko
- 2 cups low fat Milk
- 4 tsp Salt
- Cooking Spray
- 1/4 cup light Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup low fat Milk
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 cup light Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp creamy Horseradish
- 1/2 tsp Crystal Louisiana Hot Sauce
- 1/8 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/8 tsp dried Oregano
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- White Pepper
- Black Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
- ground Savory
Todd Wilbur: Dr Oz Healthy Blooming Onion Recipe Directions
- Combine sauce ingredients and let chill overnight.
- Slice stem end off onion and peel away skin.
- Place onion cut side down on a cutting board, root facing up.
- Cut down from the root, making 24 cuts all the way around the onion to cause it to bloom when you flip it over.
- Combine breading ingredients (except Panko) in a large bowl.
- Pour Panko breadcrumbs into a separate bowl.
- Beat eggs in a bowl with milk.
- Coat onion in breading, getting it in between all the petals.
- Shake off any excess breading before letting the onion soak in the egg/milk mix to moisten.
- Lift carefully and drip off excess liquid.
- Transfer onion to panko for another coat. Let it sit to stick well.
- Dip onion in milk and eggs, before dusting to coat in breadcrumb mixture.
- Let sit as you preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Spray the onion with olive oil cooking spray and bake on a baking sheet for about 45 minutes, until crispy.
- Let onion cool for a minute on a plate.
- Open both ends of the tomato paste can and remove the contents. Clean the can.
- Press the can down in the center to core the onion and pull out the core.
- Serve with dipping sauce.
Dr Oz Caption Contest
Dr Oz viewers shared social media captions suggested by viewers. For a picture of him on a swing, folks made jokes about swingers, mood swings, and hemorrhoids. When Dr Oz got waxed, fans came up with puns about a “hairy situation,” Turkish towels, and more. Also, a rock star pose elicited a joke about bowel movements.