Dr Oz: How To Reverse Diabesity
Have you ever heard of diabesity? Dr. Oz and Dr. Mark Hyman went over the condition, a combination of diabetes and obesity, revealing how it affects over half the people in America. But there is a way to reverse diabesity and the two doctors went over the steps everyone can take to get back control of their health. Dr. Mark Hyman also went over a diabesity test everyone can take that will let them know if they have diabesity or not.
Dr. Hyman has a six week plan to reverse diabesity and all it takes are some diet changes that will lower blood sugar and blood pressure levels and get you on track to being healthier than you are today.
Dr Oz: The Blood Sugar Plan
Dr. Oz and Dr. Hyman have a four part solution to help you take back your health and reverse diabesity:
- Two to one veggies plate – Dr. Hyman said every meal should be eaten with this ratio in mind. Your plate should include 50 percent non-starchy veggies, 25 percent protein and 24 percent carbs such as non-gluten whole grains or a scrumptious sweet potato.
- Become a” qualitarian” – Dr. Hyman explained that all calories are not created equal. For example, there are 240 calories in a bottle of soda, which he also pointed out is loaded with sugar, and there are 240 calories in seven cups of broccoli. Although both have the same amount of calories, the effects on your body will be vastly different depending on which one of these you choose to consume because the soda will raise your insulin, but the broccoli will not.
- Detoxification – Eat cruciferous vegetables like Chinese broccoli, artichokes and watercress to help detoxify your body.
- Get an oil change – Choose good fats over bad fats by replacing butter with coconut butter and vegetable oil with grapeseed oil.
Dr Oz: Sweet Potato Burger Recipe
Dr. Hyman has a couple excellent recipes from his book The Blood Sugar Solution. All the recipes below are going to help you get healthy and reverse diabesity by filling you up with the right kind of calories.
Dr Oz Sweet Potato Burgers Ingredients:
- 1 large Sweet Potato
- 2 Cans Cannellini Beans
- ¼ cup Almond Flour
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Curry Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 5 ounces of Mixed Salad Greens
- 2 tablespoons Tahini Paste
- 1 Large Lemon, the juice and the zest
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
Dr Oz Sweet Potato Burgers Directions:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a small cooking sheet with foil.
- Poke holes in the sweet potato with a fork, brush it with one teaspoon of the olive oil and season generously with salt and black pepper. Bake until cooked completely, 45 to 50 minutes. Allow it to cool.
- Remove the peel and place the meat of the sweet potato in a large bowl. Add the beans and mash until combined. Add the curry powder, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper and stir.
- Add the almond flour and form the mixture into eight patties.
- Heat the rest of the olive oil in a large skillet and cook the patties until crispy and golden brown, about three to four minutes on each side.
Dr Oz Tahini Dressing Directions:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tahini paste, lemon juice, lemon zest and garlic and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Drizzle on top of the burgers and enjoy.
Dr Oz: Dr Mark Hyman Almond Flax Crusted Chicken Recipe
Dr Oz Almond Flax Crusted Chicken Ingredients:
- 4 (5-oz) Chicken Breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1/2 cup Almond Meal
- 3 tablespoons Ground Flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon Yellow Onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Almond Butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1 fresh Thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
Dr Oz Almond Flax Crusted Chicken Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a cooking sheet.
- Put the chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound until each one is 1/2-inch thick.
- Combine the flax and almond meal in a small bowl and stir together.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. Add the chicken breasts and toss until coated. Allowing the chicken to sit in the mixture for about 10 minutes will intensify the flavors.
- Remove chicken from the mixture and place them on the cooking sheet. Sprinkle half of the almond/flax mixture over the tops of the chicken breasts and carefully press it into each piece until fully coated. Gently turn the chicken and repeat with rest of the almond and flax mixture.
- Cook on the top rack of the oven for about 20 to 30 minutes.
Dr Oz: Chinese Vending Machine Dispenses Live Crabs
Did you ever think getting food from the vending machine might be healthy for you? Dr. Oz checked out some of the healthiest foods he could find stocked inside some vending machines from around the world.
- Japan had a vending machine that dispensed packaged apple slices.
- A bike dispenser for tourists or commuters – simply swipe your card and remove the bike from the machine.
- A vending machine found in China’s subway station dispensed live crabs.
- Sunscreen misting machine – be on the lookout the next time you visit a theme park for these vending machines that squirt out some much needed sunscreen.
Not on the Dr. Oz show, but I saw a lobster dispensing machine in Florida once. It was a claw game. You put in a dollar and if you grab a lobster you get to eat the lobster for a dollar.