Doctor Oz: Lose Weight By Eating More
It is the dieter’s dream come true: lose weight by eating more of the foods you love, instead of depriving yourself of the favorites and flavors you know you enjoy. That was the idea on the latest edition of Dr Oz, and he shared some great recipes for everything from pizza and burgers to tacos and more.
To help everyone find the best healthy swaps, Dr Oz invited three celebrity chefs to face off with their slimmer versions of some favorite recipes. The three competitors were Aaron Sanchez, Candice Kumai, and Todd English. See if you can find a new favorite from their creations, and find out which one the audience chose as the best.
Dr Oz had each chef create their own versions of three classic foods: burgers, pizza, and tacos. Learn which ones were chosen as the audience favorites and find out what you’ll need to try them at home.
Dr Oz: Candice Kumai’s Skinny Jeans Slider Burgers Recipe
Audience member Jennifer chose Candice Kumai’s Slider Burgers as her favorite. They contain onions, which burn fat, and the juicy taste is satisfying. They’re also low in calories, with just 200 calories per slider, compared to 700 calories in the average burger. That means you can eat two and not feel bad about it.
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (plus two teaspoons)
- 1 lb. Ground Turkey
- 1 cup (3 oz.) Cremini Mushrooms, stemmed & finely chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove, finely minced
- ⅓ cup Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
- 1 small Red Onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 8 Whole Wheat Slider Rolls
- 2 Plum Tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Honey Mustard
- In a medium skillet, heat the tablespoon of Olive Oil, on medium.
- Add Onion, Mushrooms & Garlic, stirring until Onions are browned.
- Add Oregano, Sea Salt & Parsley
- Remove from heat and cool in a bowl.
- Once cooled, mix with ground turkey in a large bowl.
- Divide into eight equally sized patties, about 2 ½ to 3” thick.
- Preheat a grill pan on medium high.
- Split the rolls and brush them with remaining Olive Oil.
- Grill burgers until browned, flipping to ensure even cooking.
- Let cool on a plate. Toast rolls on hot grill.
- Place sliders on buns, topping with honey mustard and a Tomato Slice.
Dr Oz: Todd English’s Naan Flatbread Arugula & Artichoke Pizza Recipe
Audience member Crystal’s favorite food is pizza, and she admitted to keeping her local pizza place’s number on speed dial. She tried all three chefs’ pizza recipes and chose Todd’s as her favorite.
This pizza uses low fat dairy products to help you burn fat, and Todd said his secret ingredient is the Naan Flatbread.
- 4 pieces Whole Wheat Naan Flatbread
- 1 cup Grilled Artichokes
- 2 tablespoons Artichoke Spread
- 1 cup Low Fat Whipped Ricotta Cheese
- ½ cup Low Fat Mozzarella Cheese
- 3 cups Arugula
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 bunch fresh Basil Leaves
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Brush Flatbread with Olive Oil.
- Spread Artichoke Spread and Ricotta cheese on the Flatbread
- Top with Artichokes and Cherry Tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with Mozzarella.
- Bake for about seven minutes, until cheese melts.
- While it’s baking, mix remaining ingredients into an Arugula Salad.
Dr Oz: Aaron Sanchez’s Fish Tacos Recipe
Tess said her favorite dish is tacos, and she eats them a few times each month. She chose Aaron’s tacos as her favorite. Their secret ingredient is Mahi Mahi, with Chipotle and Agave Nectar.
Ingredients – Tacos
- 8 Corn Tortillas, softened
- 8 oz Mahi Mahi (2 oz per serving)
- Pinch of Kosher Salt
- 1 large sliced Avocado
- 1 cup Arugula
Ingredients – Chipotle Agave Glaze
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- 3 cups peeled Garlic Cloves
- 3 cans Chipotle Chiles (in adobo sauce, canned)
- 3 bunches Cilantro, chopped
- 1 zest of Lime
- 1 tablespoon Agave Nectar
- Pinch of Kosher Salt (to taste)
Ingredients – Mango Salsa
- 2 ounces Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 ounce Red Onion, diced
- 1 Mango, diced
- ½ small Jalapeno, minced
- Pinch of Kosher Salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed Lime Juice
- ¼ cup Mango Puree
- ⅛ cup Cilantro, finely chopped
Directions – Salsa
- Combine Salsa ingredients in a bowl.
- Place Garlic Cloves in a pan, then add oil.
- Cover with foil and put in oven at 350, for about 20-30 minutes, until Garlic turns brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Combine Garlic, Oil, and remaining ingredients in a food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
Directions – Glaze
- Combine ingredients in a mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth.
Directions – Tacos
- Sear Mahi Mahi on the grill and brush it with your Chipotle Glaze.
- Divide into four servings.
- Place in Tortillas and top with Avocado and Arugula.
- Finish with Mango Salsa.