Dr Oz: Shiitake Hot and Sour Soup
Dr Oz’s cold remedies, like his Homemade Cough Syrup Recipe, are great ways to fight symptoms. But what if you want to prevent colds in the first place? That’s where chef and author Ming Tsai comes in. He shared his Shiitake Hot and Sour Soup Recipe with Dr Oz’s audience, so you can make it for your family and prevent colds year round.
Ming Tsai said the ingredients of his super soup recipe give it healing powers. Since he eats this on a regular basis, he said he hasn’t been sick in years. The soup works its magic by killing off germs using powerful ingredients such as Shiitake Mushrooms, which naturally strengthen the immune system.
Dr Oz: Oyster & Greek Yogurt Immunity Boosters
Before making the soup, check out this bit of trivia Dr Oz explained about the immune system. Did you know that Oysters are rich in Zinc, an essential mineral for health? Eating Oysters is another way to stave off health problems before they start.
Dr Oz also explained the health benefits of one of his favorite snacks, Greek Yogurt. It is rich in bacteria but low in calories, and it can help keep the digestive system working smoothly.
Dr Oz: Ming Tsai Shiitake Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
Chef Ming Tsai and Dr Oz tried this soup recipe on the show. It’s low fat and has immunity boosting ingredients, making it a Super Soup Recipe. Try it yourself and let us know what you think.
- 1 tablespoon Grapeseed Oil
- 1 Jalapeno, minced
- 1 tablespoon Ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon Garlic, minced
- 2 bunches Scallions, sliced
- 1 pound Shiitake Mushrooms, stemmed & sliced into 1/4" strips
- 2 1/2 quarts Chicken Stock
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 Lemons
- 1 block Tofu, cubed
- 2 cups Carrots, shredded
- Heat a stockpot on medium high, coating the bottom with oil to get started.
- Combine Jalapeno, Garlic, Scallions and Ginger in the pot, sauteeing for about one minute.
- Mix in Mushrooms and let cook until soft, about another two minutes.
- Add Soy Sauce and Chicken Stock.
- Simmer and reduce for about five minutes.
- Add fresh squeezed juice from the lemons.
- Finally, mix in Carrots and Tofu, cooking until Tofu is heated.
- Garnish with Pepper and serve with Lemon Zest and any leftover Scallions.
Just writing about it sounds warm and tasty, so this one is sure to be perfect.