Dr Oz: How To Eat More Protein Without Even Trying
What if you found a combination that could boost your energy but curb your appetite, while burning fat? That magic bullet is protein, and Dr Oz said you can find ways to sneak it into your daily diet easily. Try a Protein Chocolate Avocado Brownies Recipe for inspiration, or make Sundried Tomato White Bean Dip.
Dr Oz: Why You Need Protein
Chicken is probably one of the most popular proteins, but there are plenty of options out there. Dr Oz said that we all need 50 grams of protein a day, and spread it through all your meals and snacks for better absorption.
Protein is the building block of your body, so when you are not getting enough, it can start to have some serious negative effects. Skipping protein occasionally is something you can get away with, but if you are never getting enough, it can have serious, lasting health effects.
Dr Oz: Protein in Pumpkin Seeds & Sundried Tomatoes
Meat is not the only source of protein out there. Nuts and beans are great too. Here are some surprising sources of protein.
- Avocado – 5 grams of protein; add it to eggs at breakfast
- Pumpkin Seeds – 9 grams of protein in 1 oz; eat them year round (add it to oatmeal or make a pesto)
- Sundried Tomatoes – 8 grams of protein in 1 cup; try it in pasta, chili, or bean dishes
Dr Oz: Protein Chocolate Avocado Brownies Recipe Ingredients
Viewer Megan McWilliams is a vegetarian and she used avocado to add protein to her brownie recipe.
- 4 Eggs
- 8 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Almond Meal
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Cacao Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 ripe mashed Avocados
Dr Oz: Protein-Rich Avocado Chocolate Brownies Recipe Directions
- Whip eggs with sugar in a mixer, until they become fluffy.
- Melt chocolate chips in a pan on low heat (or use a double boiler).
- Mix chocolate into the egg-sugar batter.
- With a wooden spoon, blend almond meal, cacao powder, salt, and vanilla extract into the chocolate.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Mash avocados by hand and smooth them with an electric mixer to avoid chunks.
- Fold avocados into the chocolate batter.
- Pour brownie batter into a square baking dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- Test the brownies with fork tines or a toothpick to see if they are done.
- Slice and serve.