Dr Oz: Cinnabon Recipe
If you’ve ever been to a mall or airport, you’re familiar with the scent of fresh baked cinnamon wafting through the endless hallways. Often you can follow the trail of that fresh scent to a nearby Cinnamon, which bakes fresh pastries for customers every day. But Cinnamon Rolls are certainly a decadent dessert, which is why many people feel guilty about indulging. Thanks to Dr Oz, now you can make a Low Calorie Cinnabon Cinnamon Roll recipe.
To get the job done right, Dr Oz invited chef and “food hacker” Todd Wilbur to take on this project. Previously, Todd created hacker recipes to match the McDonald’s Big Mac and Domino’s Pizza, among other iconic foods. Are you ready to feel better about craving a Cinnamon Roll?
Dr Oz: Low Calorie Cinnabon Cinnamon Roll Recipe
When you give in to your cravings at the Cinnabon store, you’re in for 36 grams of fat and 880 calories in one cinnamon roll. But this recipe contains just 450 calories, with 12 grams of fat.
Todd recommends using quality cinnamon such as Indonesian Korintje. He also suggested relying on Xanthan Gum to keep the rolls stable, though other similar substitutes can also work.
If you end up with extra rolls somehow, you can always freeze them and thaw them later in the microwave.
Ingredients – Rolls
- 5 cups Flour
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Water
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Yeast (rapid rise)
- 1/8 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 tablespoon Buttermilk
- 5 tablespoons Butter
Ingredients – Filling
- 4 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Butter, softened
- 1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Xanthan Gum
Ingredients – Frosting
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 6 ounces Neufchatel (or Cream Cheese)
- 1/2 teaspoon Imitation Vanilla
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- Lemon Extract (optional)
- Mix Flour, Salt, Yeast and Sugar in a bowl until thoroughly mixed.
- Separately, beat eggs. Then add Buttermilk and Water.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry mix, adding butter and mixing continuously.
- Knead the dough for about 15 minutes.
- Wrap dough and reserve in refrigerator to rise, for five to six hours.
- Once dough has doubled in size, roll out on a prepared surface.
- Shape dough using a rolling pin, to form a roughly 2’ square.
- Spread 1/2 cup Butter on the dough, leaving the bottom inch bare.
- Mix Brown Sugar, Cinnamon and Xanthan Gum.
- Pour this mixture evenly over the dough, except for the bottom inch.
- Tightly roll dough, stretching as needed.
- Use a ruler to make five marks, about 2” apart, starting from the middle out.
- Cut dough at each mark using a knife.
- Place dough in prepared baking pan or pans.
- Boil a pan of water. Stick the boiling pan and dough in your oven. Let sit about one hour as rolls proof.
- Once proofed, preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Bake rolls about 15-20 minutes, until light brown, turning pan once during baking.
- While baking, combine frosting ingredients, except powdered sugar, until thoroughly mixed.
- Add in powdered sugar and mix well.
- Frost rolls immediately on removal from oven.
Thanks to this recipe, you may never have to hit the mall food court again.