Dr Oz: Sloppy Jane Recipe
Lisa Lillien, a.k.a. Hungry Girl, made Crock Pot Mexican Beef with Dr Oz. She had another fun recipe to share from her new cookbook. Learn how to make this Sloppy Jane Recipe!
1 lb raw lean ground turkey or the leanest ground beef available
- 1 tsp dry steak seasoning blend
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 3/4 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp sweetener or granulated white sugar
- 5 light hamburger buns
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick spray and bring to medium-high heat. Add turkey and sprinkle with steak seasoning and salt. Cook and crumble for about 8 minutes, until mostly cooked.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, bell pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and vinegar. Mix well, and cook and crumble for 5 minutes, or until meat is fully cooked. Feel free to add more or less vegetables. Or try some different vegetables. They only serve to bulk up the meal, without bulking up the calories.
- Reduce heat to low. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and sweetener or sugar. Cook and stir until hot, about 5 minutes. The tomatoes will also help with keeping the calories low.
- Evenly distribute the mixture among the bottom buns, and then finish off with the tops of the buns. Enjoy!
- If you want the mix to be sweeter, use a little bit of sugar or a natural sweetener.
Normal sloppy joes have 685 calories per serving, while Sloppy Janes have only 265 calories per serving.
Dr. Oz: Hungry Girl – Eat Reduced Fat String Cheese
Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien said reduced fat string cheese is excellent. It can be used in a variety dishes, including the cheese on a pizza. Remember, portion control is the key to weight loss.
Dr. Oz: Items To Take to a Deserted Island?
Dr. Oz asked the viewers what they would take to a deserted island. Elisabeth Hasselbeck said she would just need to take Dr. Oz. Lisa tweeted she would need a good pair of shoes and an economy sized jar of peanut butter.
One woman in the audience said she would take water purifiying tablets and lip gloss. The tablets she needed to stay hydrated and keep her skin looking good. She said you never know who you might meet on the island.
Dr. Oz said he would bring beets because they have a lot of iron for blood and a scalpel to perform any procedures on the island.