Dr. Oz: Making Mac and Cheese Healthy
One viewed sent in a video saying she makes her family Mac and Cheese three nights a week even though she knows it is not good for them. She wanted to know a great way to make the food healthier. Good thing Lisa Lillien was there. She also shared Taco Swaps & Chicken Fingers.
Lillien said the best way to make it healthier would be to add vegetables to the Mac and Cheese. Lillien said by adding butternut squash, shredded cabbage and/or cauliflower to the Mac and Cheese it will act as an expander and make the meal a bit more hearty. Lillien also pointed out that a box of Mac and Cheese is two and half servings, yet hardly will fill you up. With her recipe, you will get a larger portion, with less calories and less fat.
Dr. Oz: Lisa Lillien’s Mac and Cheese
Hungry Girl gives us her Healthy Mac and Cheese recipe.
- 2 boxes of whole grain mac and cheese
- 6 cups cooked and diced butternut squash
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp fat-free milk
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp light whipped butter or light buttery spread
- Bring 12 cups water to a boil in a large pot. Stir in macaroni. Stirring occasionally, cook until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place squash in a large, wide, microwave-safe bowl. Add 2 tbsp water, cover, and cook until very soft, about 10 minutes. Drain excess liquid. Keep the vegetable warm.
- Drain pasta and return to the pot. Add cheese sauce mix, milk, and butter. Mix well.
- Add cooked squash to the pot and stir thoroughly.
- Cauliflower or cabbage could be used in substitute of the butternut squash. Except the cauliflower and the cabbage can simply be microwaved.
A normal serving of Mac and Cheese out of the box will have 390 calories and 17 grams of fat.
A normal serving of Hungry Girls Mac and Cheese, which is double the boxed serving, will have 354 calories and only 5 grams of fat.
Dr. Oz: Dr. Oz Reveals His Guilty Pleasures
Dr. Oz revealed his guilty pleasures on the show today, saying he loves watching spots for hours, loves to eat pistachio ice cream and loves to wind down after a crazy day by drinking some tequila.