Dr Oz: Healthy Fried Chicken Recipe
Everyone loves fried chicken once in awhile, but it is a high calorie option that doesn’t usually go with our diet plans and goals. That’s why Doctor Oz invited Chef Todd Wilbur to show everyone how to make a healthy alternative to this flavorful and delicious dish.
Plus, there’s even a recipe for Coleslaw to go with it, so you don’t feel like you’re missing out on part of the fast food fried chicken experience. If your mouth is watering, you’re not alone, so let’s get to the recipe before we both starve.
Doctor Oz: Todd Wilbur Healthy Fried Chicken Recipe
For one thigh, this recipe has about 200 calories per serving, with just 9 grams of fat. If you’re doing a breast, that’s 290 calories, plus 10 grams of fat. Still not bad, especially compared to the fast food equivalents.
8 pieces of Skinless Chicken (Breast, thigh, drumstick)
Ingredients – Brine:
- 8 cups water
- 1/3 cup salt
- 2 tbsp. Fish Sauce (MSG-free)
Ingredients – Breading
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 ¼ cup Breadcrumbs
- 4 ¼ tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp Tellicherry Pepper, ground
- ½ tsp White Pepper, ground
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Savory
- ½ tsp Sage
- ⅓ tsp Ginger
- ⅓ tsp Marjoram
- ⅓ tsp Onion Powder
- 1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
Ingredients – Egg Wash
- 4 eggs (Dr Oz cracked the eggs with one hand! Show off!)
- 2 cups Skim Milk
- Cooking Spray
- Combine salt and water for brine. Add Fish Sauce.
- Add chicken and let marinate for about two hours
- Remove chicken, rinse and blot dry.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine breading ingredients in a large bowl.
- Separately, beat eggs and mix with milk.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the egg wash, then into the breading.
- Make sure the chicken is fully coated in breading.
- Let sit for two minutes, then arrange on sprayed baking sheet.
- Spray chicken with cooking spray, which will give it a fried texture.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes, until brown.
Dr Oz Healthy Coleslaw Recipe
- 1/2 cup Light Mayo
- ¼ cup Low Fat Milk
- ¼ C Reduced Fat Buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. & 1 tsp Granulated Sugar
- 1.5 tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 3 tbsp. White Vinegar
- 1 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 head Cabbage, minced
- ¼ cup Carrot, shredded & minced
- 2 tbsp. Onion, minced
- Combine Mayo with Milk, Buttermilk, Sugar, Lemon Juice, Vinegars, and the salt & pepper.
- Whisk until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add Cabbage, Carrots, and Onions, tossing well.
- Cover and chill for at least two hours, or overnight.
- Serve with your healthy fried chicken, for an 85 calorie side dish.